Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Middle row of keys on MacBook keyboard suddenly became unresponsive

The middle row of letters keys on my MacBook don’t respond at all—letters a-l and the modifier keys in that row. Does this indicate any particular reason/cause of the problem or a likely solution? The other keys work fine. A non-Apple external keyboard is working for now, but it’s cumbersome, so I would like to fix the built-in keyboard.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 6:55 AM

Hi,

If your MacBook Pro is listed on following article, Apple offer keyboard service program.

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

If it doesn't, you'd better contact Apple Support or make Genius Bar reservation if your local retail Apple Store is open or find opened local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 6:55 AM in response to imn2learning

Hi,

If your MacBook Pro is listed on following article, Apple offer keyboard service program.

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

If it doesn't, you'd better contact Apple Support or make Genius Bar reservation if your local retail Apple Store is open or find opened local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Aug 15, 2021 8:25 AM in response to imn2learning

imn2learning wrote:

The middle row of letters keys on my MacBook don’t respond at all—letters a-l and the modifier keys in that row. Does this indicate any particular reason/cause of the problem or a likely solution? The other keys work fine. A non-Apple external keyboard is working for now, but it’s cumbersome, so I would like to fix the built-in keyboard.

Single keys, straight row, or diagonal row— all indicate a keyboard hardware failure.

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209095

Middle row of keys on MacBook keyboard suddenly became unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.