Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using 2 Time Capsules on same network but on "opposite sides" of router

This is my home's current wired/wireless setup:

1 modem/router, 2 TCs, and 4 powerline adapters. All the unattached ends of line segments indicate an attached "end of line" device (e.g., Mac, Xbox, AppleTV, etc.). TC1 assigns all the IP addresses, and TC2 acts as a switch in a chain with another switch.

However, the powerline connection between room 2 and room 3 isn't great due to some older wiring between the two rooms, so I'm trying to connect room 3 directly to the router with a lengthy ethernet cable.

Now, obviously, the easiest solution would be to just connect the 2 TCs with the lengthy ethernet cable:

but this isn't really easy to do given the way the house is built--which is why we're using powerline adapters in the first place.

So what I'm trying to do is this:

However, I don't know how to set up TC2. Leaving it in "switch" mode just resulted in it assigning itself its own IP address, but changing it to DHCP/NAT mode results in only one TC being able to connect to the router (whichever one is plugged in first, essentially) with the other device blinking orange eternally.

Any ideas on what I should adjust on TC2? Should it still work in "switch" mode, and maybe I didn't have a cable connected when restarting devices at one point?

Time Capsule

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 11:40 AM

If the Netgear device really is a "simple" modem......not a modem/router.......then TC1 must connect to the modem and everything else on the network must connect to TC1.......as shown in your first network diagram. Any other routers that connect to TC1 must be set up in Bridge Mode.

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 15, 2021 10:49 AM in response to DashingDaveASC

So what I'm trying to do is this:

If R really is a modem/router, then both of the TCs need to be set up in Bridge Mode if this is your desired configuration just above. Another way to say the same thing.......both TCs need to be "downstream" from the modem/router. In the correct setup, your modem/router will be doing DHCP and NAT, so it will be "in charge" of the entire network.

It might be another discussion, but in your current setup with one TC doing DHCP and NAT, you have what is known as a Double NAT error on the network, since both the modem/router and the TC are doing NAT. The current setup "works" because all of your network devices are "downstream" from TC1 and Double NAT is usually not too serious of an error on a simple network.

Aug 15, 2021 11:32 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Ah, yes—I guess it’s just a Netgear “High Speed Cable Modem” (Xfinity-approved, woo-how). I probably should have picked up on it not being a router as well given that its 192.168.100.1 admin page has virtually nothing to fiddle with/adjust.

I remember having that a double NAT error several years ago when I originally tried to put 2 TCs in the network with both set to DHCP. I finally managed to figure out enough from the internet at that time to change the 2nd TC ‘s mode to “switch” and get them working like that.

Aug 15, 2021 1:55 PM in response to DashingDaveASC

If it helps, you do have the option of connecting an Ethernet switch to one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on TC1, and then connecting TC2 and other devices to the switch.

Or, connecting TC2 to the switch, and then connecting other Ethernet devices to an Ethernet port on TC2.

For example, my main AirPort router is in the office next to the modem. I have run a 40-50 foot Ethernet cable from the main router to another main area in the home and connected a switch at that location. A second AirPort connects to the switch, as well as other Ethernet devices.

Using 2 Time Capsules on same network but on "opposite sides" of router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.