Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive storage of miscellaneous folders on my Mac

Can I store folders of photos from my Mac on iCloud Drive if they have not been imported into the Photos app? Likewise, will items in the Music folder on my Mac that are not related to the Music app, but to other music software, be automatically included on iCloud Drive?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 4:57 PM

Thank you for replying back, CineMutt. We are happy to provide more clarification around which type of files you can save to your iCloud Drive. 

From what we gather, it sounds like you may want to create a new folder in your iCloud Drive to save these additional files that you have. Adding new folders is a supported feature and you are not required to only use the original Documents and Desktop folders. Once you have enabled iCloud Drive, you can add new folders in addition to your Documents and Desktop folders. 

The following Apple Support article may provide a better explanation on which type of files you can manage with your iCloud Drive: 

Access and manage files in your iCloud Drive - Apple Support

According to the article above, you’ll want to be sure that your files are 50gb or less in size. We also suggest that you avoid storing app folders, libraries, .tmp, .vmdk, .vmware, .vbox, .vm, and .pvm files in iCloud Drive.

Please let us know if we can help you with anything else as you get started with iCloud Drive. 

Cheers! 

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 4:57 PM in response to CineMutt

Thank you for replying back, CineMutt. We are happy to provide more clarification around which type of files you can save to your iCloud Drive. 

From what we gather, it sounds like you may want to create a new folder in your iCloud Drive to save these additional files that you have. Adding new folders is a supported feature and you are not required to only use the original Documents and Desktop folders. Once you have enabled iCloud Drive, you can add new folders in addition to your Documents and Desktop folders. 

The following Apple Support article may provide a better explanation on which type of files you can manage with your iCloud Drive: 

Access and manage files in your iCloud Drive - Apple Support

According to the article above, you’ll want to be sure that your files are 50gb or less in size. We also suggest that you avoid storing app folders, libraries, .tmp, .vmdk, .vmware, .vbox, .vm, and .pvm files in iCloud Drive.

Please let us know if we can help you with anything else as you get started with iCloud Drive. 

Cheers! 

Aug 16, 2021 11:26 AM in response to CineMutt

Hello, CineMutt. Thank you for posting your question to the Apple Support Communities. We understand your question and how you will be looking to store music and photos with iCloud Drive. We’re happy to explain the available options that you have for managing your files. 

We’re glad to see that you were already able to start at and read over the Apple Support article that explains about the data categories for your iCloud storage. We also understand that you will be using iCloud Drive with your Mac computer. 

To continue from here, we’d like to provide you with several more Apple Support articles. These next articles can help explain how you can set up and use iCloud Drive with your devices: 

Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad - Apple Support

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

While the Photos app can be enabled to sync with your iCloud storage, you can also add photos and other files to your iCloud Drive by using the Finder or the Files app. This next article can help you with keeping your files organized: 

Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

We hope that this answer provides you with the information that you need to get the most from your iCloud Drive features. Please let us know if you have any other questions about using iCloud. 

Cheers! 

Aug 17, 2021 3:38 PM in response to JJRASC

I have already read the docs you suggest. But I am still asking a question. Maybe I was not clear in my first request.

I want to know if I can move folders onto iCloud drive that are NOT in the categories of Documents, Desktop, etc.

In other words, can I back up a folder called "Interdisciplinary Colloquia", for example, to iCloud drive; or will it have to be stuffed into to my huge Documents folder?

Also, can the Music folder contain audio files from non-apple software, or do these have to be jammed into the Documents folder also?

I want to know because if I activate iCloud drive and then later change my mind, iCLoud will download all the stuff back to my iMac and possibly duplicate a lot of files including iTunes files. I have encountered this situation before. I would not need to ask such a, I suppose, obvious question if Apple support docs were clear and complete. All I need to know is weather iCloud drive will back up ANY folder on my hard drives, or only the folders mentioned in the docs.

Thanks very much for your guidance,

Richard (CineMutt)

iCloud Drive storage of miscellaneous folders on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.