Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running applications close without any reason

Hello everybody,

on my new MacBook Air 2020 - M1 chip - the applications quit without any reason.

It happens irregularly and I only use standard applications as Firefox, Adobe Acrobat or Ms Office so I am not sure where the problem is.

My old MacBook Air had no such problems with the same applications so I presume there is something with the new iOS system MacOS Big Sur.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 6:49 AM

Point # 5 - Are the installed Applications / Extensions compatible with Big Sur. Check with the Developer for compatible Apps / Extension or do they offer updates. Same goes for Third Party Drivers for Printer, Scanners etc.

Point # 2 - Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

iOS is for iPhones and iPads >> macOS is for computers

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 6:49 AM in response to oremusa

Point # 5 - Are the installed Applications / Extensions compatible with Big Sur. Check with the Developer for compatible Apps / Extension or do they offer updates. Same goes for Third Party Drivers for Printer, Scanners etc.

Point # 2 - Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

iOS is for iPhones and iPads >> macOS is for computers

Aug 19, 2021 2:46 AM in response to oremusa

Can not speak directly to who suggested running Any AntiVirus Software on macOS let along one of the worst of the worst Norton.

For the reasons already provided - suggest contacting the Developer of this cr#$ware for specific Instructions and get it removed. Do not install another application to remove Norton as they too cause havoc and do not always remove all elements of Norton.

Aug 27, 2021 4:18 AM in response to oremusa

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a Trusted Developer and well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free or paid from added features. Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ). It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software. The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Running applications close without any reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.