Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable the Noto fonts?

Pretty sure they come with M1Mac/BigSur - but the sheer length of the list with 200 fonts styles makes font using in design apps and alike a pain scrolling.

I know the question came up before - but just leads to Fontbook manager. Disabling isn´t available as it´s greyed out.´and deleting is prohibited. I don´t think I´ve ever need these fonts - so how can I disable them at least from appearing in my design apps? Funny-wise they don´t appear in Pages for instance.

Any hints, tips&tricks, clues are most welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 5:12 PM

3d-Guy wrote:

I know the question came up before - but just leads to Fontbook manager.

The question has come up numerous times. Sometimes there are better answers than that.

Disabling isn´t available as it´s greyed out.´and deleting is prohibited. I don´t think I´ve ever need these fonts - so how can I disable them at least from appearing in my design apps? Funny-wise they don´t appear in Pages for instance.

Pages properly uses Apple's font APIs. Some 3rd party apps just scan your hard drives for fonts.

Here is a solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252949959?answerId=255548390022#255548390022

Full disclosure: after seeing that answer, I wrote up an app of my own. I can't post a link to my own app, but it is listed in that thread. The link above is a free alternative.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 5:12 PM in response to 3d-Guy

3d-Guy wrote:

I know the question came up before - but just leads to Fontbook manager.

The question has come up numerous times. Sometimes there are better answers than that.

Disabling isn´t available as it´s greyed out.´and deleting is prohibited. I don´t think I´ve ever need these fonts - so how can I disable them at least from appearing in my design apps? Funny-wise they don´t appear in Pages for instance.

Pages properly uses Apple's font APIs. Some 3rd party apps just scan your hard drives for fonts.

Here is a solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252949959?answerId=255548390022#255548390022

Full disclosure: after seeing that answer, I wrote up an app of my own. I can't post a link to my own app, but it is listed in that thread. The link above is a free alternative.

Aug 17, 2021 4:33 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Really - is that how you design things? If I´d know name+image of every font I bought&installed since 1987 I´m a happy camper. But how do one knows when trying out new fonts from daFont/FontSquirrel etc or buying a bunch of 1000 in one bundle?

But here´s a tip for you just in the case you enjoy Affinity Apps: Open "Character" from text menu and choose "English" as list - and voilá foreign font families are gone.

From what I read Adobe has the same issue with its own internal font manager - no?

Aug 17, 2021 10:06 AM in response to 3d-Guy

Did you actually try Pixelmator Pro and do Format->Fonts->Show Fonts?

It does use Apple API and it works - though perhaps not exactly as you'd expect.

Use the Fonts window to make your selections.

As you can see, I created an example of a font collection using just two fonts. This collection is available to any app that uses this API, it is not specific to Pixelmator Pro.

Aug 17, 2021 11:16 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I know it´s the equivalent of macOS´s "Font Book".app. When I choose "English" as collection everything is fine even though it´s not my default system language. I run every app in English via macOS-Preferences because of support reasons.

I simply use the Text-tool which opens a drop down with instant font previews. There are still some foreign fonts listet like Noto Sans, PingFang and others that didn´t make sense to me. But a much shorter list than 200 Affinity displays by default.

Call it "Solved" - I´m not going to spend any more time as I said before.

Aug 16, 2021 4:25 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Have you tried that? This ain´t gonna work in Affinity Suite for instance. The only and disgusting way is to make all other fonts "Favourites" - but even this won´t work the way I expect.

And this is also no explanation why these fonts are so prominent at all although they are probably rather meant to be assigned to oriental/foreign systems. Apple´s own apps seem to have a way to work around these for good reasons.

In the end it seems apps using kind of own font-management caught in that trap of endless foreign font lists and apps which uses macOS built in font management will profit from pre-selection lists made by a user. That we a forced to carry these unnecessary fonts is nerve-racking.

Aug 17, 2021 5:17 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks for the hint. Spending money to get rid of what I don´t want seems counter-productive and contradicted. Apple knows about my system - so why does it annoys me with its extraneous font alternatives I can´t disable? Doesn´t make any sense to me. (Remember the days when macOSX-Install DVDs come with all available printer-drivers from planet earth? Luckily, those days are over.)

Aug 17, 2021 5:39 AM in response to 3d-Guy

I wish I could tell you why Apple decided to start hiding fonts based on your language/region. It's easily one of the dumbest things they've ever done.

Anyone who deals with fonts daily know you NEED to see all or some of these fonts - when you NEED them - but otherwise want to disable all of them until then. That is now impossible with Font Book since it also hides fonts based on your language/region. Which makes it the most useless font manager on the planet.

If you're already using Rightfont or Typeface, both disable all of the fonts in the Supplemental folder. Typeface I can confirm does, but I had no luck with Rightfont though other users say it does. If you have neither of these, Font Menu Cleaner is by far the least expensive way to get the majority of these fonts out of your hair. You can turn any of them back on at any time when you need to.

What it can't do is disable fonts in the /System/Library/Fonts/ folder. No font manager can. Apple has those locked. Which means you'll still see six Noto Sans family groups after using Font Menu Cleaner, but that's a huge improvement over those plus the other 101 of these dumb things in the Supplemental folder.

Aug 17, 2021 7:21 AM in response to 3d-Guy

3d-Guy wrote:

I know that and already mentioned it. I just can guess the devs who creates apps for multiple OSs do their own thing - which is understandable. But it doesnt explain why macOS don´t let me disable these sheer list of fonts that´s are clearly not made for my actual system.

Because you shouldn't be altering whatever the OS thinks it needs. You may not need it, and the OS may not need it, but you should not be the one deciding which needs to be disabled. Your app should present to you the Fonts you wish to use, not every font, everywhere.

Aug 17, 2021 7:42 AM in response to 3d-Guy

3d-Guy wrote:

But it doesnt explain why macOS don´t let me disable these sheer list of fonts that´s are clearly not made for my actual system.

That is because these fonts are already disabled. Well, technically, they are hidden. When using Apple's official font APIs, there is absolutely nothing you can to do display these fonts. You have to go out of your way to find them, load them, and populate the font menu with them.

You will find many people on the internet telling you that this is Apple's fault, that Apple won't let you disable these fonts. That's simply false. These 3rd party apps are going out of their way to display these fonts, on purpose.

These fonts are designed to be there in case you ever do need them. You actually shouldn't be disabling them. I recognized how much of a problem this was for many people using these 3rd party fonts, so I wrote Font Menu Cleaner to disable these fonts. But the fact is, Apple does allow them to be disabled. That's how I did it. I used Apple's official font APIs. But I had to manually go out to the file system, find these fonts, and manually load them before I could disable them. This is a "lesser evil" approach. Ideally, 3rd party developers would read the documentation and use the proper font APIs. Had they done that, this would never have been a problem in the first place.

Aug 17, 2021 8:19 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Good to read from a compassionate person. I´m now going through my design apps and make "fav-lists" - unnecessary painful - but works at least for me.

PixelmatorPro seems to use Apple´s font API and guess what: 5 Noto Families are in there but looking all the same - crazy. Understand this who wants. I'm not going to get upset about it any longer - it's no use and you can't expect any improvement for the user.....

Cheers

How do I disable the Noto fonts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.