Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did Apple remove the ability to clear app cache?

Hello! Does anyone know if there is ANY way to remove app cache? I have a new 12max (update to date software) but my phone is so slow again. I can't figure out a way to clear cache in apps. Even if I delete and reinstall the app, the phone SAVES the cache. (Thanks so much in advance!)

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 1:19 PM

Restart your iPhone. Other cached data is removed automatically by the iOS system when it is no longer needed by the app or when other app/service needs the memory/space occupied by data from other app.

• Thanks, I thought so too but it doesn't seem to actually do that (remove it) -- which is why I thought this was a recent update.

There was never an option (in iOS) to manually clear app’s caches like you see that on other mobile systems from the Apple’s competitors.

-- Not true, see screenshots :)

This said, some devs still do hide in in-app settings an option to clear caches or reset app data to default.

-- I've looked in EVERY single app! Haven't found it in one. Again, this is a recent change.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 1:19 PM in response to iW00

Restart your iPhone. Other cached data is removed automatically by the iOS system when it is no longer needed by the app or when other app/service needs the memory/space occupied by data from other app.

• Thanks, I thought so too but it doesn't seem to actually do that (remove it) -- which is why I thought this was a recent update.

There was never an option (in iOS) to manually clear app’s caches like you see that on other mobile systems from the Apple’s competitors.

This said, some devs still do hide in in-app settings an option to clear caches or reset app data to default.

-- I've looked in EVERY single app! Haven't found it in one. Again, this is a recent change.

Aug 17, 2021 12:45 PM in response to Miche11e_P

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I'm aware of the offloading app feature but that won't EVER happen to me because I have 512GB of storage and another 200 on iCloud. There did used to be a way - in the past- to clear the cache for each app (with a "clear cache" functionality, but it has been removed -- (I'm suspecting to force people to purchase more iCloud storage.) My question was, is there a work-around way to achieve this. I have a 12 Pro Max running 14.7.1 with 512GB of storage and another 200 on iCloud, therefore, the problem is NOT space - in fact, there is almost 400 GB available just on the phone. My "networking conditions" are fine as well - with 5G cellular and a powerful wireless connection that enables my MacBook to run quickly. Also, I constantly close ALL Safari windows that are not in use and at least once a day I close each and every app and relaunch. Still, after one of the recent updates, I find the apps lagging as they had not in the past. Therefore, I'm searching for a way to clear app that could possibly be causing the "slugginess" issue.

Best,

Kimberly

Aug 17, 2021 12:54 PM in response to kimberlyinCT

kimberlyinCT wrote:

Hello! Does anyone know if there is ANY way to remove app cache?

Aug 17, 2021 1:28 PM in response to kimberlyinCT

kimberlyinCT wrote:

And you did notice where those options to clear caches appear on the screenshots you provided, right? Like I said, those are options provided for these apps by devs; that isn’t provided by Apple.

Aug 17, 2021 8:00 AM in response to kimberlyinCT

Hi kimberlyinCT,

Thanks for contacting the Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you'd like to clear the cache associated with your apps on your iPhone. Currently, the iOS doesn't include a feature which would allow the user to remove app cache manually. Instead, the iOS will clear cache when more space is needed. You can learn more here: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Here's another great resource to help you to isolate the performance issues you're having: About iOS performance on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Did Apple remove the ability to clear app cache?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.