Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Advice for Bootcamp Partition

I've been thinking about installing windows using bootcamp on my 2017 21.5 inch imac currently running on macOS Big Sur which has a 1tb SATA Disk. I still have 725 GB on it. I'm installing windows just to play valorant since its not available on mac. How much space should I give my mac os and how much should I give Windows? Thanks!

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 10:34 PM

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support recommends 64GB as minimum required. I recommend 256GB-384GB. From the link...

• When Boot Camp Assistant asks you to set the size of the Windows partition, remember the minimum storage-space requirements in the previous section. Set a partition size that meets your needs, because you can't change its size later.

If you need to enlarge the partition later, you will need to remove and re-install Windows.

This is from a 2018 Mini.

diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         616.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                384.2 GB   disk0s3
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2021 10:34 PM in response to amrew13

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support recommends 64GB as minimum required. I recommend 256GB-384GB. From the link...

• When Boot Camp Assistant asks you to set the size of the Windows partition, remember the minimum storage-space requirements in the previous section. Set a partition size that meets your needs, because you can't change its size later.

If you need to enlarge the partition later, you will need to remove and re-install Windows.

This is from a 2018 Mini.

diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         616.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                384.2 GB   disk0s3

Need Advice for Bootcamp Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.