Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air Compatibility

Several of my installed apps will no longer run on my iPad Air. It tells me that I have the latest update, which is 12.5.4...but many apps say they require 13 or 14 and up. I can’t even download the Apple Support App which requires 13. Is there anything I can do, other than buying a new iPad?

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 2:59 PM

No.

The last major update to iOS 12 was in 2019 ( iOS 12.3 ).

Your iPad Air year and model is nearly 8-years old and will never upgrade/update beyond ANY version of iOS 12.

Sorry.

Third party app developers, typically support older iOS devices for between 2-3 years AFTER Apple ends full support of certain devices.

It has already been 2 years, already.

Third party support of older iOS 12 devices will continue to sprial in a downward trend until all third party app support ends.

This third party app support downward trend has already started and will only continue as another year progresses.

Sorry.

It's 2021, now.

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a purchase of a new iPad model OR a older IPads from 2014 and later.

OR

much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, refurbished or used iPad models, from better known, trusted sources, like other Apple product/device retailers/resellers, some locally or from online, on the Web/Internet, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are PLENTY of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

If you need OR ONLY able to purchase older, less expensive iPad models, look at

All of these older model iPads below CAN run the latest iPadOS versions and the up and coming iPadOS 15.

2014, 9,7 inch screen iPad Air 2 models

2015, 7.9 inch screen iPad Mini 4 models

2015-2017, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models. ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2016, 9.7 inch screen iPad Pro models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2017, 9.7 inch screen iPad 5th gen models

2018, 9.7 inch screen iPad 6th gen models (1st gen Pencil support )

2019, 10.2 inch screen iPad 7th gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2020, 10.2 inch screen iPad 8th gen models. ( 1st gen Pencil support )

Get the largest internal data storage model you can afford as NO Apple iOS device has expandable storage.

I am sorry that you had to learn all of this, but this does not change any of the facts regarding these older iOS devices.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 2:59 PM in response to vango999

No.

The last major update to iOS 12 was in 2019 ( iOS 12.3 ).

Your iPad Air year and model is nearly 8-years old and will never upgrade/update beyond ANY version of iOS 12.

Sorry.

Third party app developers, typically support older iOS devices for between 2-3 years AFTER Apple ends full support of certain devices.

It has already been 2 years, already.

Third party support of older iOS 12 devices will continue to sprial in a downward trend until all third party app support ends.

This third party app support downward trend has already started and will only continue as another year progresses.

Sorry.

It's 2021, now.

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a purchase of a new iPad model OR a older IPads from 2014 and later.

OR

much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, refurbished or used iPad models, from better known, trusted sources, like other Apple product/device retailers/resellers, some locally or from online, on the Web/Internet, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are PLENTY of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

If you need OR ONLY able to purchase older, less expensive iPad models, look at

All of these older model iPads below CAN run the latest iPadOS versions and the up and coming iPadOS 15.

2014, 9,7 inch screen iPad Air 2 models

2015, 7.9 inch screen iPad Mini 4 models

2015-2017, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models. ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2016, 9.7 inch screen iPad Pro models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2017, 9.7 inch screen iPad 5th gen models

2018, 9.7 inch screen iPad 6th gen models (1st gen Pencil support )

2019, 10.2 inch screen iPad 7th gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2020, 10.2 inch screen iPad 8th gen models. ( 1st gen Pencil support )

Get the largest internal data storage model you can afford as NO Apple iOS device has expandable storage.

I am sorry that you had to learn all of this, but this does not change any of the facts regarding these older iOS devices.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

iPad Air Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.