Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to purchase a lightning cable to transfer files from old Mac to new one. Lost WiFi connection on first try.

I’m trying transfer files from old iMac to new one and lost fyfi connection during the process. Should I try again with lightning cable.

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 9:33 AM

Please carefully read the info in the following link and NEVER EVER use WiFi when using Setup Assistant or Migration assistant because it fails almost 100% of the time. A Lightning cable is the wrong connection type.

If you follow the information in the following link, your migration will be simple and will just work.

Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant

If for some reason you do not have a Time Machine backup of the old Mac, then make one!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 9:33 AM in response to Donkubisz

Please carefully read the info in the following link and NEVER EVER use WiFi when using Setup Assistant or Migration assistant because it fails almost 100% of the time. A Lightning cable is the wrong connection type.

If you follow the information in the following link, your migration will be simple and will just work.

Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant

If for some reason you do not have a Time Machine backup of the old Mac, then make one!

Do I need to purchase a lightning cable to transfer files from old Mac to new one. Lost WiFi connection on first try.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.