Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use Desktop AT ALL

I was clearing out my laptop and I decided to delete my dropbox as I don't use it anymore. When I deleted my dropbox from the trash the whole of my desktop disappeared (minus the background). Evidently, the files for my desktop must've been in my dropbox. Since then I have tried to use Time Machine to get the files back but I must've not backed up my files and I cannot get them back. Now I don't have a desktop folder on my laptop and I cannot place anything on my desktop as I get a circle with a line through it whenever I try and drag and drop. PLEASE HELP I am so desperate as I use my laptop everyday! Thank you so much.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 10:36 AM

missred26 wrote:

I would also like to add that I have been on Finder- Preferences - Sidebar and ticked desktop but it just says 'the operation can't be completed because the original item for 'Desktop' can't be found.'

From your Trash> you can control click and >Put Back

in an effort to regain what you lost.

If not I would search Dropbox> Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility

ex. How to recover or restore deleted files or folders in Dropbox

You can always restore your Mac previous to your issue, and go from there and better approach...

Restore your Mac from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 10:36 AM in response to missred26

missred26 wrote:

I would also like to add that I have been on Finder- Preferences - Sidebar and ticked desktop but it just says 'the operation can't be completed because the original item for 'Desktop' can't be found.'

From your Trash> you can control click and >Put Back

in an effort to regain what you lost.

If not I would search Dropbox> Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility

ex. How to recover or restore deleted files or folders in Dropbox

You can always restore your Mac previous to your issue, and go from there and better approach...

Restore your Mac from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

Can't use Desktop AT ALL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.