Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SSD T1 NOT connecting on new iMac

I have been trying to sync a Samsung SSD T1 to my new IMac Desk top with NO success

It keeps saying it's not plugged in while it is

Should I send this piece of junk back and what external hard drive Will work?

Thx

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 3:14 PM

I would recommend getting 2 of the OWC Mercury Elite Pro one you can use as your Time Machine backup. The second you could use to store your photos library and any other data you want to store.

NEVER EVER EVER use the same EHD for backup and data storage. Why, simple.... all hard disks eventually fail and often with no warning and if you use the same drive for backup and storage when that drive dies you will have lost your data and it's backup. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, meaning don't be cheap be smart and get what you need in order to safely use a computer.

Personally I go a little overboard because I have lost data and prefer to keep my internal drive relatively free. I keep 2 backup drives, one for Time Machine another for creating a bootable clone of my drive. I also have a large EHD that I use to store large libraries such as photos, music and movies and so on.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2021 3:14 PM in response to God-is-my-Hero

I would recommend getting 2 of the OWC Mercury Elite Pro one you can use as your Time Machine backup. The second you could use to store your photos library and any other data you want to store.

NEVER EVER EVER use the same EHD for backup and data storage. Why, simple.... all hard disks eventually fail and often with no warning and if you use the same drive for backup and storage when that drive dies you will have lost your data and it's backup. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, meaning don't be cheap be smart and get what you need in order to safely use a computer.

Personally I go a little overboard because I have lost data and prefer to keep my internal drive relatively free. I keep 2 backup drives, one for Time Machine another for creating a bootable clone of my drive. I also have a large EHD that I use to store large libraries such as photos, music and movies and so on.

Aug 17, 2021 5:07 PM in response to God-is-my-Hero

I recommend drives from OWC (MacSales.com) as they have proven reliability, excellent customer support and warranties.  Consider one of these depending on your budget and needs:

Envoy Pro EX with USB-C or USB 3 - best SSD from a speed vs price standpoint

OWC Envoy Pro EX with Thunderbolt 3 - fastest (up to 2847 MB/s) if you have a Thunderbolt 3 port but more expensive

OWC Envoy Pro SX - up to 2847 MB/s - also more expensive but fast

OWC Envoy Pro mini - best for laptops

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200 RPM Storage - excellent choice for Time Machine usage, inexpensive and come in larger sizes than SSDs.

Samsung SSD T1 NOT connecting on new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.