Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.5.2 rendered USB-C ports useless

Hello, putting this out there, in case others are having the same problem.

This afternoon, all was well on my iMac Pro 2017 running 11.5.1. I decided to update the system to the latest 11.5.2. Update ran smooth, but after reboot, I noticed I was not connected to the internet. I blamed my QNAP Thunderbolt 3 10G modem first, then realised none of my external hard drives mounted. Tried local plugging both Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C drives: none of them mount or are even recognised in Disk Utility or even Disk Drill. It's as if, since the update, the entire USB-C/TB3 board had been switched to OFF.

Anybody else have this issue? Never happened to me before, in my 25+ years of being a Mac user.

Thanks

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 3:33 PM

Try the following:

Similar questions

14 replies

Aug 20, 2021 1:23 PM in response to Laurent King

11.5.2 also ruined my Thunderbolt connection to my monitor.

I can't use the TB port which is also charging the Laptop, loosing display connection permanently.

Only the standard TB (non 60W) port is working, which does not help long....

I'm sorry to say, but Mac OS has become .... over the last years.

Standard topics like Bluetooth (Logitech stuff) or Thunderbolt connections to monitors failing. Honestly?

Not to speak about other topics, like missing HDR support for a 4K HDR monitor....

The M1 is really a nice machine, but when there is nice ARM machines for W11, who knows....

Aug 27, 2021 10:38 AM in response to Laurent King

Hi all, I have a 2018 T2 chip MacBook Air, everything was working good as usual until I updated to 11.5.2, and my usb-c ports became almost unusable. First of all, I realized my battery was draining like in 30% charge with the "plug" icon and the message "the Mac is not charging", what I found quite rear because the battery was low at 30% and it should be charging. I unplugged the charger with the horrible surprise the Mac still said it was plugged but not charging! After that, the MacBook Air went out of battery, and I could only charge it with only one usb-c port, the one far away from the screen, but not always recognize the charger... and the other usb-c port, is dead, no matter what you connect, it doesn't work anymore... tried with pen drives, plugging my iPhone (not charging even)... nothing works.

This last update become my Mac almost unusable, it only has two usb-c ports and only one could barely work, so I can't work with my external drives, monitor, etc... common apple, more than 20 years working with Macs and never happened nothing like this before, it is shame such an error... Of course I did a diagnostic and it is not a hardware problem, is something really bad in this last firmware update. Please we need to solve the problem ASAP.

I'm thinking about restore with a time machine backup, but Apple did impossible to downgrade a previos Big Sur version, so...

I tried everything mentioned, reset the SMC and NVRAM several times with no luck.

Anybody is finding another solution?

11.5.2 rendered USB-C ports useless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.