Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LED Cinema Display (27") and MacBook Pro 2017 15" - erratic connection

HELP! I don't want to buy a new monitor when this display still looks new as far as the image quality.

I have been using an adapter for 4 years to connect my MacBook Pro 2017 to my 2010 LED Cinema Display and it has worked fine all this time ... until now. The adapter I have been using connects the USB-C port on the Mac to the Mini DisplayPort of the Cinema Display (which has three cables (USB 2.0, Mag Safe Power and Mini DisplayPort). Sometimes it works fine and sometimes the Cinema Display just stays black. So I bought a new adapter from a different company, and it behaves the same way ... sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Suggestions? I'm really hoping to avoid buying a new $1300 monitor.

FWIW - I unplug all the adapters (bluetooth keyboard and monitor) pretty much every day as I cart around my laptop.

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 7:54 AM

Hi,

I assume LED Cinema Display is something wrong. You'd better check it at Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

It's free if they only check it.

This is different story, though you could use monitor's camera and speaker/mic if you connect USB-2 connector to your MacBook Pro with USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2021 7:54 AM in response to Alana Kai

Hi,

I assume LED Cinema Display is something wrong. You'd better check it at Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

It's free if they only check it.

This is different story, though you could use monitor's camera and speaker/mic if you connect USB-2 connector to your MacBook Pro with USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Aug 23, 2021 6:30 PM in response to Alana Kai

I just came back from the Genius Bar and they tested the monitor and said that it needs a new cinema display panel. (He shined a light into the black monitor and you could see what was trying to be displayed if it were just lit.) Cost would be $750. Given that I bought the monitor new in 2010, I don't know what it's life expectancy is at this point, so not too keen on spending a lot on it. Hoping to find a way to replace that panel myself, but don't know where to find it the replacement part and Apple wasn't keen on providing info at that point.

Any suggestions?

LED Cinema Display (27") and MacBook Pro 2017 15" - erratic connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.