You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using a photos library in a nas

I used a NAS to keep my two photo's libraries (one of 16Gb and other of 128Gb) and save my mac storage. Also, i had a backup of this libraries in a external disk (Mac OS Plus format). That worked fine until few weeks ago, when i want to open any of those libraries photos send me the error "Photos was unable to open the library" error 4302.

I copied the libraries to my mac and could open it without problems, so the libraries was correct.

The only solution was reformat may external disk to APFS and copy the libraries.

My question is, i can't use my NAS with photos? there are any compatibility issues with the NAS format? what other alternatives have i to store photos libraries? I have a couple windows computers in home

Thanks in advance

MacBook

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 3:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 5:22 AM

"there are any compatibility issues with the NAS format? "

The incompatibilities are with the file system format and network access. Photos for Mac is strictly a single user program and the internal SQLite databases in the Photos Library are meant to be used only by a single user on a local volume, not remotely. If a library is on a network volume, a user could try to access the library from several different computers at the same time. This can create problems with the file ownership. And even with only a single user accessing the Photos Library remotely, you would risk inconsistencies or risk dataloss because of possible race conditions. The network transactions will need a special synchronisation to make them safe for a network database. You have been very lucky, that the library has not been damaged on the NAS previously.

The only remote access to a Photos Library offered by Apple is iCloud Photos. We are working with a mirrored local version library on our Mac, all user interactions are handled locally, and iCloud Photos is updating the remote library in iCloud.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2021 5:22 AM in response to abuccheri2002

"there are any compatibility issues with the NAS format? "

The incompatibilities are with the file system format and network access. Photos for Mac is strictly a single user program and the internal SQLite databases in the Photos Library are meant to be used only by a single user on a local volume, not remotely. If a library is on a network volume, a user could try to access the library from several different computers at the same time. This can create problems with the file ownership. And even with only a single user accessing the Photos Library remotely, you would risk inconsistencies or risk dataloss because of possible race conditions. The network transactions will need a special synchronisation to make them safe for a network database. You have been very lucky, that the library has not been damaged on the NAS previously.

The only remote access to a Photos Library offered by Apple is iCloud Photos. We are working with a mirrored local version library on our Mac, all user interactions are handled locally, and iCloud Photos is updating the remote library in iCloud.

Aug 19, 2021 3:51 AM in response to abuccheri2002

Hi

Nas is not a compatible storage location for a photos library.

Only directly connected exernal drives are suitable:

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives) and not case sensitive.

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must be able to have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt). File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

using a photos library in a nas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.