Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update is trying to authenticate user – M1 problem

Hello, I am trying to migrate data from my old MacBook Pro into the new MacAir M1 laptop. First of all, I'll get this message on Migration assistant: "This Mac can't be used to migrate data. Due to an issue with unlocking this system, you can't migrate. Please update this Mac and retry." But when I am trying to upgrade MacOS Big Sur 11.3.1 to 11.5.2, the update downloads but when I try to install it says "software update is trying to authenticate user". And this is when the trouble starts. My password is not accepted. I do use the correct password and I can sign in to the computer with it. Yes, I have read that there are plenty of people who have this same problem and I have taken all the steps I have found so far from using safe mode to configuring user accounts. I have the admin status. I even tried to reinstall macOS, but I get this notification: "Recovery is trying to change system settings. No administrator was found." Could you please help me out with this one. Thank you!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 6:02 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Software update is trying to authenticate user – M1 problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.