Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are drop-down menus not staying open

Ever since updating to Big Sur, I'm experiencing drop-down menus instantly closing, unless I keep my mouse sitting on it! Why is this frustrating behavior happening, and is there anything I can do to stop it?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 4:28 PM

Weird stuff 101:

Restart

Start in Safe Mode, then restart normally.

Create a new user account and see if it work correctly there (Guest is a good choice, too). -- This doesn't imply you will be able to find the cause if it does work in another account.

Reinstall the OS.

Wipe the drive completely, reinstall the OS, migrate your user data from a backup (the last bit may bring back the problem)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2021 4:28 PM in response to Saxman

Weird stuff 101:

Restart

Start in Safe Mode, then restart normally.

Create a new user account and see if it work correctly there (Guest is a good choice, too). -- This doesn't imply you will be able to find the cause if it does work in another account.

Reinstall the OS.

Wipe the drive completely, reinstall the OS, migrate your user data from a backup (the last bit may bring back the problem)

Why are drop-down menus not staying open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.