Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur update issue

I have attempted to upgrade to Big Sur, I have checked that my iMac is compatible and it is. However once the upgrade has completed it comes up with an error report to say that some of the updates cannot. be verified. Has anyone else had this problem?

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2021 3:07 PM

Lynnhw,

I actually did run into this issue previously when moving to Big Sur on an Intel Mac. Essentially, the issue was with the update I had downloaded. I simply deleted the Installer and downloaded anew. Give that a try if you have not already.

You can find the installer in the Applications folder. Trash it, restart, and see if that helps.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2021 3:07 PM in response to Lynnehw

Lynnhw,

I actually did run into this issue previously when moving to Big Sur on an Intel Mac. Essentially, the issue was with the update I had downloaded. I simply deleted the Installer and downloaded anew. Give that a try if you have not already.

You can find the installer in the Applications folder. Trash it, restart, and see if that helps.

Aug 21, 2021 2:07 AM in response to Lynnehw

Respectfully disagree with the prior advised received. Asking again, what version of macOS is running on the computer now ??

At this point >> Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a Trusted Developer and well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free or paid from added features. Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ). It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software. The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Point # 1 - Are there pre-existing Unresolved Software Issues. They should be resolved prior to upgrading - they may carryover to Big Sur making the system unstable / unusable.

Point # 2 - Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Aug 21, 2021 1:58 AM in response to Lynnehw

Just to explain, how it came about that I wanted to install Big Sur, is because my computer started shutting down without warning and could happen up to 10 times during the day whilst using or when leaving. I removed some I items wondering if there was a conflict. I don't recall downloading any recent software that may have suddenly caused the issue.

I done some reading and so tried to install Big Sur, it would not download. I got in touch with Apple Support, who also suggested that I try downloading Big Sur, I have tried at least 5 times and it has no worked. I have not yet been back in touch with Apple Support. It's no longer shutting down as it was, however, I am having the odd issue with Microsoft Outlook, shutting down and re-opening stating an error.

Aug 21, 2021 2:21 AM in response to Lynnehw

The Fact you can not open " Privacy & Security " and get an error message as per Screen Shot is really a tips-off that there is a serious issue existing on the present installation of Mojave.

That System Preference is built into the OS and if that can not be opened under normal operations - IMHO indicates the OS has been compromised and or corrupted.

The Etrecheck application suggested and run as previously outline may give a much better under-the-hood view of what is happening that this time. Versus Phone support that can only treat the symptoms versus the cause

Big Sur update issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.