Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Charger cable turning yellow

My charger cable is turning yellow near where it plugs into the computer. It doesn't feel like it's overheating, and I always unplug it once it's charged, but I'm worried that it's unsafe. Should I get it replaced?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 8:55 PM

Apple's cables are known to yellow, due to their construction which contains no PVC...the cable's jacket is porous and will absorb and retain skin oils from your hands at the area where they're touched the most. Lightning cables are also *very* prone to this. Once the yellowing process has started, there is no way to stop the yellowing and eventual destruction of the cable jacket.

There is a way to repair them (assuming only the outer jacket is damaged and not the internal conductors) by using white heat-shrink tubing but that goes beyond a simple explanation here. (Google it).

If you can get it replaced, do so as it will just get worse over time. If it's under a year old, try to get it replaced by Apple (take it in to an Apple Store)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2021 8:55 PM in response to mel0210

Apple's cables are known to yellow, due to their construction which contains no PVC...the cable's jacket is porous and will absorb and retain skin oils from your hands at the area where they're touched the most. Lightning cables are also *very* prone to this. Once the yellowing process has started, there is no way to stop the yellowing and eventual destruction of the cable jacket.

There is a way to repair them (assuming only the outer jacket is damaged and not the internal conductors) by using white heat-shrink tubing but that goes beyond a simple explanation here. (Google it).

If you can get it replaced, do so as it will just get worse over time. If it's under a year old, try to get it replaced by Apple (take it in to an Apple Store)

Aug 21, 2021 8:25 PM in response to mel0210

Can you provide a picture?

I know that the charging cables can turn yellow from age, but if it is only yellow near the connector, then most likely the cable is damaged at that point which is very common and it has heated up at some point to turn the cable yellow. From your description of the cable I would suggest replacing the charger with a new Apple charger.

Macbook Air Charger cable turning yellow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.