Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac only loads in OS X utility mode (recovery mode)

Does anyone have any special tips that might stop my old IMac from automatically loading in recovery mode.

(for context, I am trying to reload El Capitan back on as a factory reset after my neighbour left me the IMac. I don't have his AppleID, I can't log into Apple or Icloud to change details. The reinstall feature on OS X utilities doesn't work- as the login is not the same ( this item is unavailable). ICloud does not load via OS X utilities to allow me to log in. I have also tried the options of holding command plus R buttons etc and that doesn't help.

I am not sure there is now anything I can do to rescue this old IMAC to atleast make some of the features work again.

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 11:40 AM

Thanks for those details, MrE2021,

With that being the case, the iMac predates the existence of the App Store. What this means is that once the hard drive is erased, the iMac no longer has access to the internet recovery or means to access the App Store. You will need either the original discs that came with it, a separately purchased physical copy like the Snow Leopard 10.6 install discs, or an external bootable drive created using a different Mac with these steps: How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Take care!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2021 11:40 AM in response to MrE2021

Thanks for those details, MrE2021,

With that being the case, the iMac predates the existence of the App Store. What this means is that once the hard drive is erased, the iMac no longer has access to the internet recovery or means to access the App Store. You will need either the original discs that came with it, a separately purchased physical copy like the Snow Leopard 10.6 install discs, or an external bootable drive created using a different Mac with these steps: How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Take care!

Aug 21, 2021 8:09 AM in response to MrE2021

Hello MrE2021,

We understand that you're trying to restore the iMac that you inherited. So long as the model came originally with Lion or above, it should be able to reinstall using internet recovery. If it predates Lion, then you would need physical install media like the discs it came with.

To confirm, you've gone through these steps to erase the drive and try to reinstall? Erase and reinstall macOS

Thanks

IMac only loads in OS X utility mode (recovery mode)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.