Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 and iTunes backup

I would like to transfer all content from my existing iTunes iPhone backup (iTunes 12.8.2.3, OSX El Capitan 10.11.6) to a new iPhone 11. Can this be done? It is not clear from what I've found on this site.

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 9:00 AM

Yes, you should be able to restore the backup of any iPhone to another running the same or a later version of iOS. If you have trouble getting your computer to recognize the new iPhone read on...

For iOS 14 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2021 9:00 AM in response to Bogenbrooker

Yes, you should be able to restore the backup of any iPhone to another running the same or a later version of iOS. If you have trouble getting your computer to recognize the new iPhone read on...

For iOS 14 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

Sep 2, 2021 11:55 AM in response to turingtest2

In preparing to transfer its contents to the iPhone 11 I backed up my iPhone 6S for the first time in a few months. Though nothing I'm aware of had changed on my computer in the interim, iTunes told me I first needed to download a piece of software it didn't identify. Once I did, the backup went normally. Subsequently, iTunes recognized the iPhone 11 without my having to do anything, and transferred everything perfectly.

I suppose iTunes had previously called the MobileDeviceUpdater, but I don't know why it would have done so in response to being connected as usual to the iPhone 6S. But that, I guess, is a different question. Thanks for your advice, turingtest2

iPhone 11 and iTunes backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.