Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad Air 4 does not charge beyond 80%

Good day everyone,

I recently ordered a new iPad Air 4 and just received it and it seems to work well. However, after the first time charging it, it charged very quickly to 80% and after that it stopped, and the only way i would see it raise is if i turn it off and turn it back on again.

Based on the model number the iPad seems to be new based on the model number, i checked the battery health and it is at 100%, and the charger provided and hardware all seem to be very new and slick.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can assist. Thank you.

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 8:41 PM

You are absolutely right that you are not unable to see the battery health on your iPad Air. I was wrong. Battery Health feature is exclusive to iPhones and not iPads. I was mixed up.

The good thing is that your iPad Air 4 has the ➔ iPad Charge Management Feature which is built in. One example is that if your iPad Air is connected to power for prolonged periods of time then the charge management will change the charging strategy and maintain the charge level at 80% to maintain battery health. Once you begin using the iPad or remove it from charge and plug it back in again, then it will charge to 100%.

I recommend that you let this feature (Charge Management) manage the battery charging levels while you continue using the iPad. You can charge whenever you want and for as long as want and your iPad Air 4 will manage the rest.

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2021 8:41 PM in response to idris134

You are absolutely right that you are not unable to see the battery health on your iPad Air. I was wrong. Battery Health feature is exclusive to iPhones and not iPads. I was mixed up.

The good thing is that your iPad Air 4 has the ➔ iPad Charge Management Feature which is built in. One example is that if your iPad Air is connected to power for prolonged periods of time then the charge management will change the charging strategy and maintain the charge level at 80% to maintain battery health. Once you begin using the iPad or remove it from charge and plug it back in again, then it will charge to 100%.

I recommend that you let this feature (Charge Management) manage the battery charging levels while you continue using the iPad. You can charge whenever you want and for as long as want and your iPad Air 4 will manage the rest.

Axel F.

Aug 21, 2021 12:11 PM in response to idris134

Your battery is not charging past 80% unless you restart the iPad. That is the feature and function of Optimized Battery Charging.

With iOS 13 and later, Optimized Battery Charging is designed to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged. When the feature is enabled, your iPhone will delay charging past 80% in certain situations. Your iPhone uses on-device machine learning to learn your daily charging routine so that Optimized Battery Charging activates only when your iPhone predicts it will be connected to a charger for an extended period of time. The algorithm aims to ensure that your iPhone is still fully charged when unplugged. - Apple Support.

You may disable the above feature, if you like, so that your iPad charges all the way up to 100% every time you choose to do so. To disable Optimized Battery Charging, open Settings ➔ Battery ➔ Battery Health ➔ Optimized Battery Charging : Set this to OFF.

Axel F.

New iPad Air 4 does not charge beyond 80%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.