You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro Black Screen and beeping

Does anyone have an older MacBook pro 2012, OS = Big Sur that was fine and the next day the screen is blackened it beeps 3 times with the fan going full blast? When this happened to my iMac it was the hard drive, is it the same for the MacBook pro?

Posted on Aug 21, 2021 7:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 9:29 AM

The memory is being ordered and it is the OWC...16 (2x8 DDR,) I will know it if it bad slot after it gets here.

Also as for the damage to MacBook Pro. No dropping or anything I know about damaging the computer ever.

That said, I did have to get a new motherboard from Apple Care due the the first one just being defective back in 2013.

Is that a common thing to have the logic board go out?

The computer was working fine at night, and in the morning black screen and 3 beeps.

Also the battery also is good and holds 89% charge after all these years.

Going to replace DDR ram and then see if that's it.

Also, thank you for responding so quickly.

I am grateful and appreciate you taking the time to help.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2021 9:29 AM in response to HWTech

The memory is being ordered and it is the OWC...16 (2x8 DDR,) I will know it if it bad slot after it gets here.

Also as for the damage to MacBook Pro. No dropping or anything I know about damaging the computer ever.

That said, I did have to get a new motherboard from Apple Care due the the first one just being defective back in 2013.

Is that a common thing to have the logic board go out?

The computer was working fine at night, and in the morning black screen and 3 beeps.

Also the battery also is good and holds 89% charge after all these years.

Going to replace DDR ram and then see if that's it.

Also, thank you for responding so quickly.

I am grateful and appreciate you taking the time to help.

Aug 21, 2021 8:44 PM in response to AppleSalvage

First Apple does not officially support Big Sur on a 2012 MBPro.

Second the three beeps indicate a memory issue. You either have a bad memory module, a bad memory slot, or incompatible third party memory installed. Macs are very picky about the memory they use so it is best to only use memory from Crucial or OWC. In fact you should only use the exact part numbers suggested by using the tools on their respective websites to identify the compatible part numbers for your computer.

Many times the memory slot nearest the Bottom Case goes bad due to cracked solder joints from years of use and having the center of the Bottom Case pressing against the Logic Board/memory slots, however, on occasion I have seen the other memory slot fail. You need to figure out if you have a bad memory module and/or a bad memory slot by testing each memory module & slot one module/slot at a time using just a single memory module. Pressing on the black plastic base of the memory slot can trigger a system freeze or graphical issues on the screen if the solder joints for the slot nearest the Bottom Case are cracked. It is extremely rare to have more than one bad memory module.

I'm not sure whether the fans running at high speed is due to the laptop being frozen due to the bad memory or whether the fans indicate another problem as it may indicate a temperature sensor has failed (most likely a bad Logic Board if both issues occurred at the same time unless the laptop has suffered accidental damage). See if you can run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any other hardware issues are detected. This may require you to first identify the bad memory module/slot.

Mac Book Pro Black Screen and beeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.