Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted App Icon Won’t Go Away

I deleted an app but now there is a grid icon on my homescreen for that app. The icon does not work. When I go to the App Store beside that app it says “Open” but it doesn’t respond. The app is not listed in the iPad Storage list. I have done a hard reset several times but that hasn’t helped. I have signed out of my Apple ID and back in, also. Does anyone have any suggestions?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 12:47 PM

I had the same problem & I tried everything - downloading the app (stated open not download), choosing to delete the app again (still didn’t work) & force restart the iPad. However after the 14.7 iOS update the app returned & I could remove it.

I would try installing iOS 14.7 or if already installed to install again via iTunes.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2021 12:47 PM in response to Freddie and Flo

I had the same problem & I tried everything - downloading the app (stated open not download), choosing to delete the app again (still didn’t work) & force restart the iPad. However after the 14.7 iOS update the app returned & I could remove it.

I would try installing iOS 14.7 or if already installed to install again via iTunes.

Aug 22, 2021 9:09 AM in response to Freddie and Flo

Which iPadOS is running on that device? If it is iPadOS 14.x.x then locate that app in the App Library. If it exists there then attempt to delete it from the App Library. You have already stated that the app does not appear in the iPad Storage list. I know that you have stated that you have performed a hard reset several times with success. Allow me to list the process of Forced ReStart for the iPad below and see whether you can try it again as directed in the procedure below:

Force restart iPad

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Axel F.

Aug 22, 2021 11:25 AM in response to Freddie and Flo

You probably have the App Library because you have iPadOS 14.x.x installed on your iPad Pro. To get to the App Library, open the Home Screen on your iPad Pro. SWIPE LEFT and continue to SWIPE LEFT through the Home Screens until you reach the App Library which is the last Home Screen. You will find all your installed apps in there.

Axel F.

Deleted App Icon Won’t Go Away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.