Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD - Data After Reinstall

My 2017 iMac running Big Sur filled up and I was forced to erase and reinstall and migrate my data back from an external harddrive with a Time Machine backup. I followed these steps https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496 and everything seemed good, expect Time Machine did not seem to be making backups. I clicked on the Time Machine setting to run it manually and it timed down and prepared and then seemed to be done almost instantly. I restarted my iMac and tried again and this time Time Machine said it could not because there were two versions of Macintosh HD - Data. I looked in the finder and saw that where there used to be just my Macintosh HD listed, that now there was also Macintosh HD - Data listed below it.

Can someone advise me on what to do now and what I might have done wrong or what might have caused this?

Thanks,

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 11:50 AM

You did not erase the Volume Group, so it left the old Data volume.

Open Disk Utility and select each Macintosh HD - Data volume.

The one that shows a home icon in the Name in the info pane is the new one. If you look at the mount point, it will say /System/Volumes/Data.

If you see just /Volumes as the mount point, that is the old one. With it selected, click the "Remove Volume" button ( – ).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2021 11:50 AM in response to napa-web-designer

You did not erase the Volume Group, so it left the old Data volume.

Open Disk Utility and select each Macintosh HD - Data volume.

The one that shows a home icon in the Name in the info pane is the new one. If you look at the mount point, it will say /System/Volumes/Data.

If you see just /Volumes as the mount point, that is the old one. With it selected, click the "Remove Volume" button ( – ).

Aug 23, 2021 6:37 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks,

Perfect. Except Time Machine still seems to be stuck on a date days ago. I think Time Machine is working, as in making new backups, but in the menu bar the date of the last backup is still days ago rather than today, even though I clicked to backup now and it looked like it went through the process, although pretty quickly.

Is there an issue with Time Machine after reinstall and Migration from a Time Machine backup?

Thanks again,

Macintosh HD - Data After Reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.