Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I play music from iPods on my iMac now?

I used to be able to play music stored on my iPods and iPhone via iTunes. The 'Music' application on the iMac doesn't appear to have this functionality. Other than using the Audio MIDI Setup, and Quicktime option, is there a way to play the contents of the external devices now? Ideally one that allows me to select the music to be played from my iMac rather than the external device?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 4:02 AM

No. Ideally all the content that you have on your device would also be on your computer so that in the event the device was lost or needed to be restored you would have all of the media to put back. See Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community if needed.

tt2

4 replies

Aug 24, 2021 3:23 PM in response to turingtest2

So, yes, a loss of functionality is confirmed. Much like the loss of Internet Radio functionality from iTunes, which at least could be replaced by third party tools. Using my music library drive backup as a live source is less than optimal. It would seem I shall have to move to Plan C - run High Sierra in a VM. Or perhaps I will opt for an earlier VM just to get back CoverFlow as well.

Thanks for the confirmation. Cheers

How can I play music from iPods on my iMac now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.