Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv 4k resolution stuck on 576p SDR

Apple TV 4K model has worked fine with my 4K HDR TV for a few years. A few days ago, when powering off my Apple TV, there was a message that popped up about a problem changing the resolution. Now the resolution is “stuck” on 576p SDR. I’ve tried selecting any other higher end resolution and the tvOS software won’t switch to 1080p, or any 4K resolution that worked fine before.

Under “video & audio settings” check HDMI connection says there are no issues with my HDMI connection. also tried “reset video settings”, didn’t fix it.

also tried “reset and update” where it wipes all your settings and does a reset with the latest tvOS update (14.7) and that didn’t work either. Still stuck on 576p SDR.

any ideas?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 11:09 AM

I ended up plugging the Apple TV into a different 4k capable TV and then it worked fine. I had previously tried unplugging Apple TV, but didn't wait 2-3 minutes. So whether plugging into a different TV or the equivalent of 2-3 minutes worked, the aforementioned steps worked for me. Plugged it back into the original 4k TV and now it works fine.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2021 11:09 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I ended up plugging the Apple TV into a different 4k capable TV and then it worked fine. I had previously tried unplugging Apple TV, but didn't wait 2-3 minutes. So whether plugging into a different TV or the equivalent of 2-3 minutes worked, the aforementioned steps worked for me. Plugged it back into the original 4k TV and now it works fine.

Aug 23, 2021 5:51 PM in response to jjpeterson15

Having similar issue. Never got a pop up message and my issues are only with content streaming through iTunes or Apple services. All my other streaming apps like Disney+, Netflix, HBO Max are all streaming in full HD. I had a lengthy chat with Apple support today. They are forwarding it to their engineers. But as of now they don’t see anything on their end. Makes no sense. I’ve done all kinds of resets to no avail. I even tested my other Apple TV device and same issue. Only happening with ITunes content.

Aug 24, 2021 11:16 AM in response to jjpeterson15

My Appel tv isn’t stuck on the wrong settings in the settings menu. But it’s just streaming any content from iTunes in low 480 resolution. I have 480mbps wifi speeds getting to the Apple TV. All other streaming services are fine and in full HD. It makes no sense. Something is going on with Apple’s servers but they’re not acknowledging it or not aware

apple tv 4k resolution stuck on 576p SDR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.