Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move emails to an external hard drive with the attachments?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 5:56 PM

You can just drag them from the Mail window into some folder in the Finder as “eml” files. They will retain their attachments and you can double-click them to open them in Mail. This is just an export. You would still need to delete the message in Mail.

These messages will probably not be searchable inside Mail anymore, but you could probably search them via Spotlight.

Try it with a few messages first to see how it works.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2021 5:56 PM in response to TahoeDana

You can just drag them from the Mail window into some folder in the Finder as “eml” files. They will retain their attachments and you can double-click them to open them in Mail. This is just an export. You would still need to delete the message in Mail.

These messages will probably not be searchable inside Mail anymore, but you could probably search them via Spotlight.

Try it with a few messages first to see how it works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.