Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email export & archive question

Hi all,

Because I'm reaching my ISP's 1G maximum limit for storing emails, I want to export and archive my Sent messages file before deleting them from my ISP's mail server. I'd like to be able to store these outside my Mac and access them if and when necessary — work related reasons — and then delete the Sent messages from my ISP's server, thereb y freeing up server space.

I was planning to Export the Sent file that's on my iMac to a file on the Desktop, then drag it onto an external hard drive.

Will I be able to access and search the Sent files after doing this? And are there any glaring issues with this plan?

Thanks in advance for any all all responses!

Maggot

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 10:46 AM

Should be as simple as right-clicking Sent Items and choosing to export to the Desktop. It will create a folder and within that folder will be an "mbox" file which is all your sent email in one file and a "table_of_contents">. You should be able to import MBOX format to other systems as it's a standard email format.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Maggot

Should be as simple as right-clicking Sent Items and choosing to export to the Desktop. It will create a folder and within that folder will be an "mbox" file which is all your sent email in one file and a "table_of_contents">. You should be able to import MBOX format to other systems as it's a standard email format.

Email export & archive question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.