Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rename Bluetooth Device

I saw a post from April 27, 2020 saying they couldn’t rename any Bluetooth devices on their iPhone and said there is no "name" option for the device in Bluetooth info settings…only options to “forget” and “disconnect”. I was having that same problem but found a solution. That post wasn’t allowing any more comments or answers so I thought I would post here.

Turns out you must be connected to the device in order to rename it. Simple as that!

Settings —> Bluetooth —> Connect to the device you want to rename —> click the i in the circle (info) —> The name of the device will be displayed…Click on it to rename it.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 12:17 AM

There are two aspects to it, as I understand

1. There are devices that offer to rename. To understand it better; there is a set of information transmitted by a Bluetooth device to identify itself: generally known as "SDP packet" which includes a universally unique identifier (UUID) and a list of other available services. What Mac does is it keeps a link of the new name provided by the user to that of UUID (Usually the last part) received from the device. iOS device is capable of renaming such devices which offer services to rename/rewrite the last part of the UUID on the device itself.
  2. On a Mac, we may simply assign a Nickname for a Bluetooth accessory and not changed its name. Had we renamed a Bluetooth accessory using a Mac and paired it with another device then the new name must appear on all other devices. Presumably, I am sure that is not the case with the kind of action that we have taken to the nickname.

Hope I was able to put my thought across through what I have leaned through my experience.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2021 12:17 AM in response to rybody

There are two aspects to it, as I understand

1. There are devices that offer to rename. To understand it better; there is a set of information transmitted by a Bluetooth device to identify itself: generally known as "SDP packet" which includes a universally unique identifier (UUID) and a list of other available services. What Mac does is it keeps a link of the new name provided by the user to that of UUID (Usually the last part) received from the device. iOS device is capable of renaming such devices which offer services to rename/rewrite the last part of the UUID on the device itself.
  2. On a Mac, we may simply assign a Nickname for a Bluetooth accessory and not changed its name. Had we renamed a Bluetooth accessory using a Mac and paired it with another device then the new name must appear on all other devices. Presumably, I am sure that is not the case with the kind of action that we have taken to the nickname.

Hope I was able to put my thought across through what I have leaned through my experience.

Rename Bluetooth Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.