Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP render manage delete

Hi,

Looking for some help on deleting Render files please. 

By way of background, for each edited project in FCPX, I first create a library, then import all media for the project, ‘leaving files in place’.

I’m using an external drive, where the libraries are stored (the original video files are stored on the same drive, with ‘leave files in place’ selected for imports)

This page provides how to manage/delete render files for projects/events/libraries: https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/manage-render-files-ver68a8c250/mac 

However, I’m after advice as to what I guess exactly the rendering is and whether if I delete an individual library’s render files (each library created specifically for each associated project) will that render file deletion effectively destroy the associated edited project in FCP?

Projects have been compressed/delivered but want to keep the original edited project timeline, where subsequent editing of a project can be done, as if nothing changed from my original edit (all clips edited the same, timing, audio, also the effects, titles, etc all remain in the project timeline).

Please let me know if I need to provide additional clarification...

Thank you 

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 11:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 1:37 AM

You can safely delete the render files, and that will not destroy anything.

Render files are generated by the program and can always be REgenerated if and when they’re needed. It is recommended that you delete render files when you’re done to avoid wasting a lot of disk space.

As to what render files are and do: suppose you are compositing two clips, perhaps scaling, changing the blend mode and applying several effects to them, like color correction. When you are playing back your timeline FCP will have do a lot of calculations in real time in order to display the correct image to you, every frame, every time you play. Or it might do the calculations once and store the result so it is easy to playback. That stored results are the render files. If they are deleted then FCP will calculate again. If you make changes, like change the scale or blend mode, or add another effect, FCP will have to calculate again too.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2021 1:37 AM in response to BHAussie

You can safely delete the render files, and that will not destroy anything.

Render files are generated by the program and can always be REgenerated if and when they’re needed. It is recommended that you delete render files when you’re done to avoid wasting a lot of disk space.

As to what render files are and do: suppose you are compositing two clips, perhaps scaling, changing the blend mode and applying several effects to them, like color correction. When you are playing back your timeline FCP will have do a lot of calculations in real time in order to display the correct image to you, every frame, every time you play. Or it might do the calculations once and store the result so it is easy to playback. That stored results are the render files. If they are deleted then FCP will calculate again. If you make changes, like change the scale or blend mode, or add another effect, FCP will have to calculate again too.

Aug 24, 2021 2:54 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

Based on your reply Luis, I will be deleting the render files from the library (I tend to edit predominantly in the timeline so no issue with event renders deleted or project renders which is the whole reason here...).

Disk space/copying time is certainly the motivation ;)

Thanks again and best regards,

FCP render manage delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.