Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail: folders deletion

Hello,

I have more then 4000 local folders (created in the past by another application) than I need to delete. The folders are very small, and do contain from 0 to a couple of emails.

The delete command takes 10 seconds per folder. That could make more than 10 hours to get rid of them all.

Is there a way to 'reset' the Apple Mail to factory setting? If not, are there operations that can be performed at the OS level? I can use Terminal.

Thank you,

Bernard

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 9:17 AM

5 replies

Aug 24, 2021 12:30 PM in response to bdelmez

Are these folders stored on your Mac, or is this an IMAP or Exchange account? If it is an IMAP or Exchange account, folders may be stored on the server. If any are stored on your Mac, they are on Users -> your username -> Library -> Mail and Mail downloads, unless you are using something other than Apple's Mail program.

You can basically remove all accounts in Mail menu -> Accounts, but do so only when you have stored your local mail folders outside of your Library folder when Mail is not open. Note, Mail does not always close unless you select Quit from the Mail menu.

Aug 24, 2021 3:16 PM in response to bdelmez

If they are folders in the On My Mac section, you can select them all, ctrl-click on the selection, then Delete Mailbox.

To select them all, select the first, scroll to the end, then Shift-Click on the last one.

And yes, it might take a while to delete them all, but you don't have to do them individually.

If you delete them in the Finder, you should also delete the Envelope Index in MailData folder. Then open Mail and it will rebuild everything. If you don't delete the index, it will generated a bunch of recovered mailboxes.

Apple Mail: folders deletion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.