Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I back up texts?

Can I back up texts from my phone on the iCloud?

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 4:31 PM

Messages in iCloud will sync all your iMessages, SMS and MMS texts to iCloud. It is not an independent archival backup though as any changes you make in the device (e.g. deleting messages) will be sync’d to iCloud.

There are relatively inexpensive apps for windows or MacOS that will let you archive your entire message library to a computer. Tools like iMazing, iExplorer and PhoneView archive text messages as text or pdf files.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2021 4:31 PM in response to NealCousins

Messages in iCloud will sync all your iMessages, SMS and MMS texts to iCloud. It is not an independent archival backup though as any changes you make in the device (e.g. deleting messages) will be sync’d to iCloud.

There are relatively inexpensive apps for windows or MacOS that will let you archive your entire message library to a computer. Tools like iMazing, iExplorer and PhoneView archive text messages as text or pdf files.

Can I back up texts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.