Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viber backup impossible to delete from iCloud problem

Hello everybody! Maybe someone faced the problem of impossibility to delete Viber backup from iCloud.

Tried as as rule says, but it just does nothing: the ribbon of occupied memory blinks and all stays the same.

the problem arised because somehow Viber backup filled 3.9 GB of memory, in Viber itself it shows even more - 4.2 GB and iCloud alerts lack of free Space.

now it seems Viber can’t renew backup, because I already deleted many conversations, and excluded media from backup but the Viber shows backup file the same 4.2 GB.

looks like Problem with iCloud like corrupt storage or something

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2021 6:14 AM

So, now I can report on how everything is being solved:

1) I turned to local Apple support. We came through all standard steps I already did, but now with Apple looking remotely to my phone screen

2) Local Apple switched me to abroad support and we repeated all steps again and again with screen sharing, and recording of moments how the backup cant be deleted

3) Then the issue was transferred to the Apple USA for intrusion into my iCloud to delete the file manually, additional confirmation was requested from me that I authorize them to delete the file.

4) the waiting time took almost a week, after that one day I discovered that the problematic backup is gone.

meanwhile I did some additional attempts to delete it but it really made no sense.

As support engineer told me, it’s the problem of delete command not going through.

So now I’m lucky with lot of iCloud space and switched off Viber backup for good.

In the end when I cleaned Viber chat history it occurred that I didn’t need 99% of it.

Hope this story will help someone and take care!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2021 6:14 AM in response to JCorHelps

So, now I can report on how everything is being solved:

1) I turned to local Apple support. We came through all standard steps I already did, but now with Apple looking remotely to my phone screen

2) Local Apple switched me to abroad support and we repeated all steps again and again with screen sharing, and recording of moments how the backup cant be deleted

3) Then the issue was transferred to the Apple USA for intrusion into my iCloud to delete the file manually, additional confirmation was requested from me that I authorize them to delete the file.

4) the waiting time took almost a week, after that one day I discovered that the problematic backup is gone.

meanwhile I did some additional attempts to delete it but it really made no sense.

As support engineer told me, it’s the problem of delete command not going through.

So now I’m lucky with lot of iCloud space and switched off Viber backup for good.

In the end when I cleaned Viber chat history it occurred that I didn’t need 99% of it.

Hope this story will help someone and take care!

Aug 25, 2021 12:20 PM in response to JCorHelps

Thank you for your prompt reaction, but I wouldn’t write my question here if it was so simple.

The problem is that I tried everything already and it doesn’t help:

• when I go to settings-iCloud-manage storage- Viber- delete data nothing happens
  • I tried to rewrite the backup file with new backup primarily deleted all that’s not necessary and taking much volume - nothing happens. File size stays the same.
  • I deleted Viber and tried to clear the storage after that - nothing
  • I turned on and off media backup in Viber - all the same
  • theoretically the problem could be in Viber, but why after I deleted it I cannot clear it’s backup from the iCloud storage?

So logically I came to thought that the problem is in the iCloud itself. Probably corrupt server or corrupt file or other problem I don’t know.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Viber backup impossible to delete from iCloud problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.