Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost iMovie Footage!

I created an iMovie library on my hard drive. While I was editing a video, I restarted my computer because it was overheating. Now, my entire edited video is gone, although all of the footage is still in the iMovie library. It still says that the hard drive is taking up 49GB of storage, so I hope there is still something left to salvage.

I tried to restore iMovie on Time Machine or find the backups folder, but neither worked. Is there any way I can recover my hours of work and effort?

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 2:27 AM

The Library and Projects are completely separate from the iMovie app.

Are you saying that the iMovie app is damaged or missing?

If so, just re-download it from the App Store.

You could also try deleting the preferences which should be done whenever iMovie starts misbehaving.

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and this window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with sometimes no projects etc. on the interface. 

If your project doesn’t load automatically you will have to navigate to it and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2021 2:27 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

The Library and Projects are completely separate from the iMovie app.

Are you saying that the iMovie app is damaged or missing?

If so, just re-download it from the App Store.

You could also try deleting the preferences which should be done whenever iMovie starts misbehaving.

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and this window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with sometimes no projects etc. on the interface. 

If your project doesn’t load automatically you will have to navigate to it and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

Aug 25, 2021 8:50 AM in response to helenwu75

Was the backed up library not in the backups folder, or were you unable to find the backups folder?

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before your issue started.  iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact.

-- Rich

Lost iMovie Footage!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.