Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1708 MacBook Pro 2016/2017 - Touchpad and keyboard suddenly stopped working except power button.

Hello community,

I know that here are a lot of topics to related question and answers. But, at this point, I am really hopeless.

Have a MB Pro A1708 13" 2016/2017 and all of a sudden, in the middle of work, keyboard and touchpad died BUT power button works fine. USB/Bluetooth one is of course running fine as well as external mouse..

No liquid damage, no damage at all, macbook was taken care of perfectly, not even keyboard lights up nor caps lock.

Apple ,,genius" said that my macbook needs top case repair :DDD as always, they use it like a template. Every single thing in top case works perfectly af, and it worked, until now. I know that keyboard replacement itself is pain as ****, since I work in IT and of course I did check myself first point to eliminate causes.

Now since apple told me that top case replacement is ofc, as for everyone, 550$, where I found one for 150, but, even after flex cable replacement for touchpad, there is no progress whatsoever.

Reseting configurations like smc, etc was done trillion times and disassembly was done correctly as well without doubt.

I am unable to enter AHT for some reason even with usb keyboard.

Also, upgrade was done to Big Surr as a ,,try fix".

Is there anything else could cause the issue all of a sudden what I might missed instead of buying whole top case? Which will be last option of course since i wanna have it fully functional again, since thats why notebooks are.

Thank you very much even for reading and have a nice day!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 2:54 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 25, 2021 6:10 PM in response to Salvocado

These laptops are difficult to troubleshoot. A bad Trackpad or Trackpad Cable can prevent both the Keyboard & Trackpad from working (even though the keyboard has its own connection directly to the Logic Board independent of the Trackpad). However, keep in mind you could have a bad Logic Board instead. There is no way to know for sure until another internal Keyboard & Trackpad (and Cable) have been tried.

Good luck.

A1708 MacBook Pro 2016/2017 - Touchpad and keyboard suddenly stopped working except power button.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.