Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I record audio on my Mac?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 4:38 PM

Hello, MatthewZayas.

Many Mac models support analog audio input via the headphone jack. Apple has designed it to be a multi-function port, and like the headphone port on iOS devices, it supports audio input as well as output. So it is possible to input audio into the Mac from an external microphone or from a cassette or CD player (mono only).

There are multiple options to connect a microphone to your Mac.

1- For a stand alone mic with cable you can use a USB connector type or Audio to USB converter.

2- You can use a USB or Bluetooth type microphone/headset.

3 -You can use a headphone with standard 3.5mm (1/8’) plug, but NOT with a standard stereo audio plug.

The headphone used must be of the TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) variety, just like Apple’s headphones. The tip is used for left channel audio, ring 1 is for right channel audio, ring 2 is ground and the sleeve (ring 3) is for the microphone.

The Mac’s headphone jack can also be used for input when you want to connect a cassette or CD player. The caveat here is that this port is a mono input, not stereo, and will accept only a single channel of audio. When played back through the Mac speakers or headphones this audio is center-panned to play at equal volume on the left and right channels.

To get your audio into the Mac via the headphone jack, a 3.5mm headphone splitter (example here) breaks out the Mac’s TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) combined audio port into two distinct ports - one that can be used for a microphone input connection, and the other for a stereo headset or speaker output.

When combined with a 3.5mm TRS stereo female jack to 3.5mm mono male plug adapter (example here) and 3.5mm stereo output cable you can take the audio from a cassette or CD player directly into the headphone jack and into your favorite recording or podcast app for editing.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2021 4:38 PM in response to MatthewZayas

Hello, MatthewZayas.

Many Mac models support analog audio input via the headphone jack. Apple has designed it to be a multi-function port, and like the headphone port on iOS devices, it supports audio input as well as output. So it is possible to input audio into the Mac from an external microphone or from a cassette or CD player (mono only).

There are multiple options to connect a microphone to your Mac.

1- For a stand alone mic with cable you can use a USB connector type or Audio to USB converter.

2- You can use a USB or Bluetooth type microphone/headset.

3 -You can use a headphone with standard 3.5mm (1/8’) plug, but NOT with a standard stereo audio plug.

The headphone used must be of the TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) variety, just like Apple’s headphones. The tip is used for left channel audio, ring 1 is for right channel audio, ring 2 is ground and the sleeve (ring 3) is for the microphone.

The Mac’s headphone jack can also be used for input when you want to connect a cassette or CD player. The caveat here is that this port is a mono input, not stereo, and will accept only a single channel of audio. When played back through the Mac speakers or headphones this audio is center-panned to play at equal volume on the left and right channels.

To get your audio into the Mac via the headphone jack, a 3.5mm headphone splitter (example here) breaks out the Mac’s TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) combined audio port into two distinct ports - one that can be used for a microphone input connection, and the other for a stereo headset or speaker output.

When combined with a 3.5mm TRS stereo female jack to 3.5mm mono male plug adapter (example here) and 3.5mm stereo output cable you can take the audio from a cassette or CD player directly into the headphone jack and into your favorite recording or podcast app for editing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.