Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How can I record with audio on Mac, when using headphone?

Can I record a Zoom meeting or a class with audio when I use headphones? Or does the sound need to come out from Mac externally?

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 10:06 AM

9 replies

Nov 8, 2023 12:57 PM in response to mie90

If you're using at least MacOS Ventura, you can record system audio directly using a 3rd party app:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/claquette-gif-video-tool/id587748131?mt=12?pt=142877&ct=landing&mt=12

There's no MacOS-native way to do it, short of the internal microphone recording sound from the speakers (which is low fidelity and often has bad feedback).

Nov 8, 2023 2:37 PM in response to mie90

here's the method I use for that purpose.

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

then, if you want to record the internal audio as well as your microphone, it's slightly different. you need to set up an “Aggregate Device”

to set up an Aggregate Device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select “Create Aggregate Device”

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Aggregate Device tab, select “BlackHole 2ch” AND “Built-in Microphone”

then when you choose the recording options, select “Aggregate Device”.

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) choose “Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options".

*** you will also need to adjust your MIDI settings depending on which input / output methods (microphone / sound output) that you want to use.

*** for best results when using the aggregate device, you should use headphones to hear the mac's audio. if you use your speakers to hear the audio, then depending on the speed of your Mac and the volume of your speakers, the mic will capture the sound from the speakers a fraction of  a second later. then you will hear that from your speakers a fraction of a second later, which the microphone will capture it a fraction of a second later, which you will hear from your speakers…….

Nov 9, 2023 2:58 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Hi

I have tried the solution you provided and it works perfectly. Thank you for your assistance. However, I am facing an issue while using my earpods to watch YouTube and record at the same time. I am unable to adjust the volume while recording. Additionally, the audio is playing through both my Mac's speaker and the earpods. Is this a normal occurrence or is there something wrong with my settings?

TIA ;)

How can I record with audio on Mac, when using headphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.