Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Q: You have a lot of Apple devices (more than 5) but you only want to authorise few for music downloading. Will it work?

No doubt I am an apple fan and own more than 10 apple devices including my personal devices and the devices purchased by my company. And, I am happy listening to Apple Music by using 2 or 3 devices of them.

My question is - Can we just authorise Apple Music download on few devices?

It doesn't really make sense to do any removal in my account because those devices are in fact my working devices. And, I believe that Apple Music specifically asks for authorisation because they don't think that iCloud login on any given devices is authorised by default so they take additional steps to ask you. (Well, that's the original user experience and this does make sense!) However, when it comes to authorisation, it immediately "admit" that all your devices logged in with your iCloud account are authorised and concludes it's over the limit - 5 devices (what the hxxl? Then why are you asking to authorise this device again).

There is apparently some logical error in the Apple Music authorisation design. Either they assume all your apple devices under one apple account are all authorised devices and they don't bother ask you again. (That's definitely fine)

Or, Apple Music specifically asks authorisation for each device and total devices shall be less than or equal to 5 devices where people can decide which device to authorise for using Apple Music download. This is also fine because people have choices. Like me I don't even think about downloading Apple Music on a Apple TV box.

I wonder if anyone encountered the same issue with me here. Of course, I am fully aware that most of time Apple is a big giant so they don't really bother answering questions like this so my best bet is to switch to other Music service if no solution available.

Thanks in advance.

Leo

Posted on Aug 25, 2021 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 4:44 AM

See Authorization vs. association - Apple Community. Authorization applies to computers, association applies to computers and iOS devices. You can potentially sync an unlimited number of devices from an authorized computer without needing to trigger association on the device. Nether Apple TV nor HomePod, which are streaming devices, are subject to these mechanisms.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2021 4:44 AM in response to Leo Chung

See Authorization vs. association - Apple Community. Authorization applies to computers, association applies to computers and iOS devices. You can potentially sync an unlimited number of devices from an authorized computer without needing to trigger association on the device. Nether Apple TV nor HomePod, which are streaming devices, are subject to these mechanisms.

tt2

Q: You have a lot of Apple devices (more than 5) but you only want to authorise few for music downloading. Will it work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.