Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sticky keys from spilled coffee. How to repair by myself?

Hey guys. Would appreciate your feedback! I spilled sweet coffee onto my laptop's keyboard. The laptop functions fine, but some keys are "stuck". How can I repair them without taking the laptop to the Apple store? The laptop is 2019 Macbook Pro with flatter keys. Thanks!

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 9:26 AM

Lara415 wrote:

Hey guys. Would appreciate your feedback! I spilled sweet coffee onto my laptop's keyboard. The laptop functions fine, but some keys are "stuck". How can I repair them without taking the laptop to the Apple store? The laptop is 2019 Macbook Pro with flatter keys. Thanks!

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Liquid damage tends to get worse over time due to corrosion...maybe you dodged a bullet(?)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2021 9:26 AM in response to Lara415

Lara415 wrote:

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Liquid damage tends to get worse over time due to corrosion...maybe you dodged a bullet(?)

Aug 27, 2021 10:53 AM in response to Lara415

There is no way to clean a 2019 laptop keyboard which uses the butterfly mechanism since the coffee will get into the pivot points that cannot be cleaned since it is impossible to remove the butterfly mechanism to clean it like could be done with the scissor mechanism found on 2020+ models or 2015 and earlier models. Even then extreme care had to be taken not to damage the fragile key cap or the scissor mechanism. @leroydouglas has provide the only solution.

Sticky keys from spilled coffee. How to repair by myself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.