Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete the Cloud account from a MacBook without losing data (contacts, notes, photos, etc.) on an iMac?

I have an iCloud account shared between an iMac and a Mac Book that holds photos, contacts, notes, etc. I would like to separate the two devices, as I am leaving the Mac Book with my son, but if I try to rename or delete the account on the Mac Book I lose all the storage on the iMac.

Is there any procedure that would allow me to close the account on the Mac Book without losing any data?

Why does it seem that the Mac Book also manages the iMac?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 8:10 AM

re: "If I deactivate the Apple ID from the Mac Book I lose the contents of the applications in my iMac."

If you do the procedure exactly as described in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support on your MacBook, it will not affect anything on your iMac.

That procedure is designed by Apple for people who have a Mac, get a new Mac, may temporarily have everything running the same on both Macs while they transfer data or for a time thereafter, and then want to pass the old Mac onto someone else.

I have used the procedure several times myself (as well as probably millions of other people) and it has never removed or affected anything on my new Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2021 8:10 AM in response to Paperinik62

re: "If I deactivate the Apple ID from the Mac Book I lose the contents of the applications in my iMac."

If you do the procedure exactly as described in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support on your MacBook, it will not affect anything on your iMac.

That procedure is designed by Apple for people who have a Mac, get a new Mac, may temporarily have everything running the same on both Macs while they transfer data or for a time thereafter, and then want to pass the old Mac onto someone else.

I have used the procedure several times myself (as well as probably millions of other people) and it has never removed or affected anything on my new Mac.

Aug 27, 2021 1:48 AM in response to FoxFifth

Thank you for your reply.

I have considered the procedure you suggest, but I would need further clarification.

This is a procedure to do in case I want to give my device to someone else to buy a new one.

However, I already have the two devices and want to give one (Mac Book) to my son. Both of them now have the same Cloud account that stores certain system applications and shares them on both (calendar, contacts, photos, memos, notes), because I needed them when I was working away from home.

If I deactivate the Apple ID from the Mac Book I lose the contents of the applications in my iMac. That's what I don't understand. I need to keep my addresses and calendar on the big Mac. It's like - sorry if I'm being goofy - if the Cloud that's active on the Mac Book acts as the main entity, as opposed to what's on the other device: once that's gone, everything's gone. I'd like to avoid that.

How to delete the Cloud account from a MacBook without losing data (contacts, notes, photos, etc.) on an iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.