Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac screensaver always goes to start of photos library

My screensaver uses my photos library but insists on starting at the first picture in the library every time. It also shows originals, so photos have not been rotated to correct orientation despite them being correct in the library. I am on Big Sur OS but with earlier OSs it would pick up from the last picture viewed so I got to see the entire library over time and it would show pictures rotated. How can I get the Big Sur version to do the same? My library is held on iCloud.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 9:00 AM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2021 11:10 AM in response to kirkhamcat

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread.

Then open your original library and see if the problem remains.

If it does, boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Aug 27, 2021 11:02 AM in response to Old Toad

That doesn't work either, I've tried it. Although the check box ticks OK, when the screen saver starts, it is still from the beginning and goes through in order. When I go back to the screensaver preferences, the tick box is unchecked. I had the same problem in OS Catalina but it did move on to a new starting point after a while and then stick at that and then move on again - OS Big Sur just stays stuck at the start. Earlier version just picked up from the last picture displayed.

Aug 28, 2021 3:53 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried setting up a temorary photo library and got the same result. I also tried using some of the native Apple screen savers and again they started at the begining each time. I guess that is how it is meant to work. In safe mode the screen saver would not work with anything, just gave a black screen. It looks like I am stuck with it. It's disappointing, I used to enjoy the steady progression through my whole library, now I will have to set up a specific selection to fit the timescale of the screensaver. An Apple designer once told my boss that the essence of good design was often the little things that gave the user a sense of joy - to me this was once of those joy-giving features and now the joy is missing!

Mac screensaver always goes to start of photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.