Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transfer old Mac to a newer (not new) Mac? Do I need to completely clean the newer Mac first? If so, what is best way?

I want to transfer everything from an older 2009 Mac Book Pro to a newer 2012 Mac Book Pro. I can use Transfer Assistant on both. But, do I need to prep the newer Mac first? If so, how?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 11:44 AM

There is no need to change the newer Mac if all you need is the files from the older Mac.

Migration Assistant is the software to use.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

If I were King, I would entitle that article "COPY your content to a new Mac". It is not actually MOVED (the old is NOT deleted).

-------

If you wish to have all your Account information and settings and passwords copied and usable as well, You will need to work harder at making the new(er) Mac pristine, and FoxFifth's article will do just that for you.

Then Use Setup Assistant (runs by default at first run) to Copy all your pre-existing information from your old Mac, rather than set up as new.. NB>>This is the easiest way to retain your passwords and settings.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2021 11:44 AM in response to sej26

There is no need to change the newer Mac if all you need is the files from the older Mac.

Migration Assistant is the software to use.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

If I were King, I would entitle that article "COPY your content to a new Mac". It is not actually MOVED (the old is NOT deleted).

-------

If you wish to have all your Account information and settings and passwords copied and usable as well, You will need to work harder at making the new(er) Mac pristine, and FoxFifth's article will do just that for you.

Then Use Setup Assistant (runs by default at first run) to Copy all your pre-existing information from your old Mac, rather than set up as new.. NB>>This is the easiest way to retain your passwords and settings.

Can I transfer old Mac to a newer (not new) Mac? Do I need to completely clean the newer Mac first? If so, what is best way?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.