Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank Desktop pane

The Desktop pane in Desktop & Screen Saver preferences is blank on my MacBook Pro. It appears for one or two seconds when first opened after a startup, but then disappears. The Screen Saver pane works as expected. How do I fix the blank Desktop pane?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 8:18 PM

appletechnocrat Said:

"Blank Desktop pane: The Desktop pane in Desktop & Screen Saver preferences is blank on my MacBook Pro. It appears for one or two seconds when first opened after a startup, but then disappears. The Screen Saver pane works as expected. How do I fix the blank Desktop pane?"

-------

Two Things to Try:

A. New Admin User:

For troubleshooting purposes, try creating a new administrator. Then, log in to it, seeing if you can install this. Once installed delete this user you've just created.

B. Boot in Safe Mode:

See what happens when you try this in Safe Mode. While booted in Safe Mode, Login Items do not open at login, system settings are set aside, and damages system files are fixed. Go Here: Start up your Mac in Safe Mode - Apple Support

Important: Create a Time Machine Backup, First:

Prior to the update of your your device, you should always be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2021 8:18 PM in response to appletechnocrat

appletechnocrat Said:

"Blank Desktop pane: The Desktop pane in Desktop & Screen Saver preferences is blank on my MacBook Pro. It appears for one or two seconds when first opened after a startup, but then disappears. The Screen Saver pane works as expected. How do I fix the blank Desktop pane?"

-------

Two Things to Try:

A. New Admin User:

For troubleshooting purposes, try creating a new administrator. Then, log in to it, seeing if you can install this. Once installed delete this user you've just created.

B. Boot in Safe Mode:

See what happens when you try this in Safe Mode. While booted in Safe Mode, Login Items do not open at login, system settings are set aside, and damages system files are fixed. Go Here: Start up your Mac in Safe Mode - Apple Support

Important: Create a Time Machine Backup, First:

Prior to the update of your your device, you should always be certain to backup your Mac using a Time Machine Backup. That way, you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update.

Blank Desktop pane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.