Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does this mean and what should I do?

I just woke and saw the message -- "Your computer has detected a potential problem". I sent the message to Apple and hit Show Report and the only thing which showed up was a document 7.1 TextEdit called "eficheck.dump" - can/should I do anything? I was having terrible slowness [discussed her in separate thread in the last day or two = and ran Disk Utility and then reinstalled the Os [Mojave] and things have improved a lot since then tho still some beach balling. But given this warning anything else to do?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 3:59 AM

Exactly what version of Mojave is installed. It should be 10.14.6 and all Security Updates should also be installed. There may or may not have been some Boot ROM updates included in newer updates to Mojave and could potentially remove this eficheck.dump issue.

If all above have been applied -

Suggest downloading from a Trusted Developer and Respected ASC Contributor the application Malwarebytes for Mac. It is free or paid for added features. Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 3:59 AM in response to Victoria Herring

Exactly what version of Mojave is installed. It should be 10.14.6 and all Security Updates should also be installed. There may or may not have been some Boot ROM updates included in newer updates to Mojave and could potentially remove this eficheck.dump issue.

If all above have been applied -

Suggest downloading from a Trusted Developer and Respected ASC Contributor the application Malwarebytes for Mac. It is free or paid for added features. Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

Aug 28, 2021 6:39 AM in response to Victoria Herring

Welcome and Thank you too ;-)

Somewhere is Mojave - Apple Introduced an Check EFI as part of the Hardening of the OS and Boot Rom to guard against Tampering with very low level processes from being Altered or modified by UnAuthorized actions or Software.

As we have seen subsequently in Catalina - the System Files have been further Hardened by creating a New Volume one for User Data and one for the system Data. The System Data is a Read Only Volume. Apple has gone a step further in Big Sur and Hardened the System Volume into a Read Only Volume and Sealed Volume.

We do not test know what the Monterey macOS to come later this year will be like.

All the above is intended to explain the lengths to which Apple is attempting to keep the Boot ROMs and whole system out of the hands of UnAuthorized actions and software.

Aug 28, 2021 9:07 AM in response to PRP_53

Well, a sad update -- it worked for awhile [the updates did help] but when I rebooted to do some things, more beachballs again [this also refers to an earlier thread by me] and particularly of the Finder! So I force quit and relaunched and happened again = Apple Apps [Mail, Pages, TextEdit] wouldn't load and Finder also beach balled. I couldn't even open Etrecheck Pro to run a report. So, I shut it down, unplugged all external drives and while it was better, not totally. And this is with SafeBoot having been run and also new install of Mojave & updates. At present I am doing a Super Duper backup of the iMac and then will do another one, just in case [and have Time Machine as well] and my thought is to wipe the whole OS off and reinstall Mojave and reinstall the apps needed/wanted and not necessarily everything. Given the time it will take it'll be Monday before I can do anything. So if there are other suggestions that would be great.

Aug 28, 2021 10:04 AM in response to Victoria Herring

I do have CleanmyMacX - Number One get it off the Computer as per the Developers Instructions. Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. 

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This computer OS is seriously compromised and may require as Re=Installation

What does this mean and what should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.