Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign out from iCloud on Mac

Hi, I'm trying to return the Macbook Pro 15" mid 2012 of my daughter back to factory settings. The Mac is running on macOS Catalina. When I go into System Preferences, the Apple ID is greyed out. When I click on it and go to Overview, I see the Sign Out.... button, but again it's greyed out. I can click on it, but it simply returns to the Apple ID window without signing out from iCloud.

I read advice to turn of Screen Time and to restart, which I did, but the result is still the same.

Has anyone a clue how to get around this problem? I don't need to recover any of the info on this Mac. A complete clean up, start from scratch, would be an option.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 1:51 PM

Thanks for this suggestion Bailier. I've tried the Safe Mode some days ago, but it didn't change the situation.

I managed today to remove the complete user account of my daughter. I created first a new user with admin rights and then removed the one from my daughter. I then recreated the account for my daughter, but without entering her Apple ID. It looks ok for now, there is no longer an Apple ID shown in the System Preferences page. And the button to Sign In is active.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2021 1:51 PM in response to bailier

Thanks for this suggestion Bailier. I've tried the Safe Mode some days ago, but it didn't change the situation.

I managed today to remove the complete user account of my daughter. I created first a new user with admin rights and then removed the one from my daughter. I then recreated the account for my daughter, but without entering her Apple ID. It looks ok for now, there is no longer an Apple ID shown in the System Preferences page. And the button to Sign In is active.

Aug 29, 2021 7:48 AM in response to Pedro_du_31

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Pedro_du_31.

If we understand your post correctly, you're unable to sign out of iCloud on your daughter's MacBook Pro. We’d like to help.

Try signing out while in safe mode. This article will tell you how to start in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Can't sign out from iCloud on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.