Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I consolidate all photos on my mac in one folder and delete all duplicates?

How do I consolidate all photos on my mac from internal and externall hhd's in one folder and delete all duplicates?

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 11:06 PM

Hi there :)

I'm just in the process of helping my Mom through this also.

Here's a very good resource for the 'combining' part of the question.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209528

When it comes to the duplicates part though, 2 comments:

1. there is no easy way currently available in Photos to accomplish this. There are some 3rd party apps to accomplish this, but I have not tried any of them yet.
  2. During the import process at the above link, Photos will find any duplicates that you're about to import, and give you the option to 'skip' or 'import' all duplicates. This is probably the easiest way of getting 'most' of your duplications out of the mix.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 11:06 PM in response to andrewolf1979

Hi there :)

I'm just in the process of helping my Mom through this also.

Here's a very good resource for the 'combining' part of the question.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209528

When it comes to the duplicates part though, 2 comments:

1. there is no easy way currently available in Photos to accomplish this. There are some 3rd party apps to accomplish this, but I have not tried any of them yet.
  2. During the import process at the above link, Photos will find any duplicates that you're about to import, and give you the option to 'skip' or 'import' all duplicates. This is probably the easiest way of getting 'most' of your duplications out of the mix.

Aug 28, 2021 11:48 PM in response to go1d1ox

Bear in mind - the duplicate detection on import will only detect exact copies of the file. Any derivatives that have been changed in any way (eg edited image, different file size, changed metadata) will not be detected. An image exported from photos using the normal export will be modified. To keep an exact copy of the file imported, then you need to "export unmodified original"

For duplicate detection once in photos:

use an app designed to work with the photos library (Ie one that marks the photos or puts them in an album, and lets you review and then delete them, rather than doing the delete itself.

Do NOT use a general file duplicate finder not designed to work with the photos library. They will damage your photos library and likely cause loss of your photos.

I personally use PowerPhotos (I also use this for copying images and data between libraries)
https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/

Another suitable app recommended by experts here is PhotoSweeper (I have no personal experience of this one)

https://overmacs.com/

Both are paid apps. PhotoSweeper is the lowest cost and can recognise duplicates based on content, but PowerPhotos provides a lot of functionality in addition to the duplicate detection.

Aug 29, 2021 2:44 AM in response to andrewolf1979

andrewolf1979 wrote:

.... consolidate all photos on my mac from internal and externall hhd's in one folder and delete all duplicates?

In one folder? Are you storing your photos in a Photos Library or are your photos in folders in the Finder?

The previous replies are showing how to do this when merging Photos Libraries, but if you are not using Photos at all, you can simply copy the photos into one common folder. The Finder will point out duplicates with the same filename.

how do I consolidate all photos on my mac in one folder and delete all duplicates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.