Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to recover Notes that have been permanently deleted from iCloud?

Long story short, I ended up deleting all the Notes data in my iCloud Storage, thinking that a copy of my notes would be stored on my devices. Instead, this immediately removed all of my notes (nothing in Recently Deleted either) that were stored in the iCloud section (the notes stored in the On My iPhone section are fine) and I just deleted my only iCloud backup. Is there any way at all I can somehow restore my notes? I am willing to use a third party program if need be as these iCloud notes are VERY important and I am more or less in full blown panic mode.

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2021 10:30 PM

vanessah2004 Said:

"Any way to recover Notes that have been permanently deleted from iCloud?: Long story short, I ended up deleting all the Notes data in my iCloud Storage, thinking that a copy of my notes would be stored on my devices. Instead, this immediately removed all of my notes[...]"

-------

Upgraded Notes:

Seems you're using "Upgraded notes". Being so, note that you have 30 days to recover this. So, click the orange-colored trashcan* in the toolbar, and then perform the search.

Read More:

1. Go Here: Delete and recover notes on iCloud.com Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: "You can delete notes you no longer need. If you’re using upgraded notes, you can recover recently deleted notes within 30 days."
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2021 10:30 PM in response to vanessah2004

vanessah2004 Said:

"Any way to recover Notes that have been permanently deleted from iCloud?: Long story short, I ended up deleting all the Notes data in my iCloud Storage, thinking that a copy of my notes would be stored on my devices. Instead, this immediately removed all of my notes[...]"

-------

Upgraded Notes:

Seems you're using "Upgraded notes". Being so, note that you have 30 days to recover this. So, click the orange-colored trashcan* in the toolbar, and then perform the search.

Read More:

1. Go Here: Delete and recover notes on iCloud.com Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: "You can delete notes you no longer need. If you’re using upgraded notes, you can recover recently deleted notes within 30 days."

Aug 28, 2021 10:54 PM in response to vanessah2004

vanessah2004 Said:

"Any way to recover Notes that have been permanently deleted from iCloud?: Unfortunately, the Recently Deleted was completely empty..."

-------

What to try:

A. In the iMessages App:

On your other devices, view the iMessages or Messages app

B. Check your Mac:

Export: the Notes by backing up your Mac

1. Power Off: the router
  2. Boot: the Mac
  3. Back Up: the Mac
  4. Open: Messages
  5. Export: the Notes
  6. Restart: the Mac
  7. Recover: the notes using Migration Assistant

or...

C. Restore form a Backup:

You can restore your Mac from the backup. I would also consider restoring your iPhone from a backup that contains these iMessages. Once either is restored, then they would be back on there. Be certain you backup each device, prior to the restoration.

Aug 28, 2021 11:26 PM in response to vanessah2004

vanessah2004 Said:

"I don't have any iCloud backups nor do I have a Mac or any Notes to export (they were all automatically deleted)... but thank you for trying to help, I'm really desperate right now"

-------

You are welcome.

Recovering Notes:

A. Hard Drive Time Machine Backup:

Note that iCloud does not backup notes. So, keep that in mind, if you use an external Hard Drive to back up your devices. This is not an option, as iCloud does not backup notes.

1. Go Here: Backup Methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: iCloud backups
  3. As it Reads: "iCloud backups don't include: Data that's already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Notes, iCloud Photos, iMessages, Voice Memos, text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages, and Health data[...]"

B. Take Screenshots:

From here on out, take some screenshots of your notes. That way, you can have something to go by, should this happen again.

C. Other Links:

D. Disable Cellular:

Try disabling Cellular, and using Wi-Fi instead, seeing if that makes all the difference.

E. Try manually restarting your iPhone:

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Select: General
  3. Scroll to: the Very Bottom
  4. Select: Shut Down
  5. Slide Finger: to the Right
  6. Wait: 30 Seconds
  7. Power One: the iPhone
  8. Try this Once More

F. Log Out, then in to, iCloud:

Try logging out of, and then in to iCloud. Be certain Notes is selected. Perhaps this all needs to resync.

as a last resort...

G. Provide Feedback:

If nothing above ends up working, then provide Apple with feedback on all of this. Give Apple feedback on this. They won't get back to you directly on this, but the more feedback their engineers receive on something, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Commend:  on how you think notes should be recoverable
  4. Proceed form there as necessary

Aug 29, 2021 12:01 AM in response to vanessah2004

Hello,

This may be a long shot but I did not see it mentioned.

"If you use notes with another service, like Gmail or Yahoo, check the Trash folder of that account in the Mail app. If you delete a note from the Notes app, your third-party account will usually keep it in the Trash folder. To recover a note from the Trash folder, you need to copy and paste the note to a new note in the Notes app"

If you're missing notes on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I hope you can recover them.

Aug 28, 2021 11:45 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank you so much for all the suggestions, I suppose there's not much I can do for my deleted notes anymore (which I doubt can be resynced or anything, because I manually chose to delete the Notes data from my iCloud storage :") but I will certainly at least leave feedback on how notes should be automatically downloaded and/or recoverable when removed from iCloud. I poked around and it seems that I'm not the only one with this exact issue, and apparently none of us have solutions either.

Any way to recover Notes that have been permanently deleted from iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.