Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My EtreCheck Report

hi

if anyone can please explain this, that would be appreciated

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 12:17 AM

It seems you are having Kernel Panics. Please see: If your Mac restarts and a message appears - Apple Support. (they are most likely due to CleanMyMac.)

Delete CleanMyMac. [Instructions] It is akin to malware.

Remove the orphan files. Their locations can be found at the bottom of your EtreCheck report.

You have a lot of Internet Plug-Ins. I would remove them. Their locations are /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ .

However, the main reason your iMac is slow is due to the 7200 RPM hard drive. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

You could also upgrade the RAM to 16GB. The external SSD is more important, but more RAM cannot hurt! Here are 16GB upgrade kits: 16GB OWC MEMORY UPGRADE KIT - MacSales.com (OWC) or Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) SODIMM Memory for Mac - Crucial. Here are the upgrade instructions: Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support.

Cheers,

Jack

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2021 12:17 AM in response to deborah jackson

It seems you are having Kernel Panics. Please see: If your Mac restarts and a message appears - Apple Support. (they are most likely due to CleanMyMac.)

Delete CleanMyMac. [Instructions] It is akin to malware.

Remove the orphan files. Their locations can be found at the bottom of your EtreCheck report.

You have a lot of Internet Plug-Ins. I would remove them. Their locations are /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ .

However, the main reason your iMac is slow is due to the 7200 RPM hard drive. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

You could also upgrade the RAM to 16GB. The external SSD is more important, but more RAM cannot hurt! Here are 16GB upgrade kits: 16GB OWC MEMORY UPGRADE KIT - MacSales.com (OWC) or Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) SODIMM Memory for Mac - Crucial. Here are the upgrade instructions: Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support.

Cheers,

Jack

My EtreCheck Report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.