Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Subtitles/Closed Captions on every time we use the Apple TV app on our Vizio

Every time we start a show on the Apple TV app, using our Vizio smart tv, closed captions/subtitles are on. I have to log out and back in each time in order for them to be turned off. Nothing in the settings works. Not even reset. The captions are shown through the app and not through Vizio. (Vizio remote has a simple CC button on it)

Any ideas to avoid having these automatically show up each time?

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 9:17 AM

Either the app or your device may have a ‘global’ setting for closed captioning for upcoming future videos. If this accessibility setting for on|off doesn’t appear in the in-app settings, then the app should follow the device settings. Not sure how that interacts with on-the-fly switching with the special remote button, after launch of the app. Probably not at all, as this setting would be a default behavior, regardless of current viewing options.

Use subtitles and captioning in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

During playback, you may (de-)activate subtitles or closed captioning in the Apple TV app from the Info pane. Press the down button, then Subtitles, then select a language, or select “Off”.

Turn on subtitles and closed captioning (if available) - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2021 9:17 AM in response to bmf8140

Either the app or your device may have a ‘global’ setting for closed captioning for upcoming future videos. If this accessibility setting for on|off doesn’t appear in the in-app settings, then the app should follow the device settings. Not sure how that interacts with on-the-fly switching with the special remote button, after launch of the app. Probably not at all, as this setting would be a default behavior, regardless of current viewing options.

Use subtitles and captioning in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

During playback, you may (de-)activate subtitles or closed captioning in the Apple TV app from the Info pane. Press the down button, then Subtitles, then select a language, or select “Off”.

Turn on subtitles and closed captioning (if available) - Apple Support

Sep 24, 2021 6:43 PM in response to bmf8140

i was having the exact same problem. Closed captioning would always default to “on” with only the Apple TV app but no other apps. Tonight I went to the settings on the Vizio TV. The closed captioning was on even though it never shows up on anything. I turned it off and that solved the problem with the Apple TV app. Closed captioning no longer shows up every time I start an Apple TV show.

Subtitles/Closed Captions on every time we use the Apple TV app on our Vizio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.