Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library on External Drive Two Macs

I have my iTunes library on an external hard drive, plugged into my iMac.

I'd like to be able to use that library when I travel, by plugging the drive into my MacBook.

How can I get my MacBook's iTunes to show the playlists and library I've set up and updated on my iMac?

Are there files I need to copy?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2021 6:44 AM

Hi Dinerboy,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you'd like to play your iTunes music from an external drive, correct? If so, we would love to help see if we can get the issue resolved for you. Depending on what version of macOS you're running, you may be able to use the steps we've linked below.

play music from external hard drive with catalina

Please let us know how it goes. We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2021 6:44 AM in response to Dinerboy

Hi Dinerboy,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you'd like to play your iTunes music from an external drive, correct? If so, we would love to help see if we can get the issue resolved for you. Depending on what version of macOS you're running, you may be able to use the steps we've linked below.

play music from external hard drive with catalina

Please let us know how it goes. We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

Aug 31, 2021 6:50 AM in response to barberlives123

Thank you, but I already play music from my external drive on my iMac.

What I wish to do is occasionally plug that drive into my MacBook and have Apple Music reflect the same (and constantly updated) library and play lists. I haven't been able to do that simply by pointing the MacBook's Music app to the external drive. I suspect I need to copy some configuration files, I'm hoping someone can tell me which ones and where.

iTunes Library on External Drive Two Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.